South Seas Spas

Orion6192

Hello all...

We are embarking on our quest for the perfect hot tub. We know we are looking for a 5-7 seat, no lounger hot tub. After that we are pretty open to options. We don't need a radio or TV. We live in upstate NY zip code 14572 so were are a little limited to our options...

We stumbled across one that really caught our eye but cannot find much about the tub. It's a South Seas Spas hot tub. Model 748L: 48 jets, 2 5-HP motors, ozonator, full foam insulation. $5899 + tax delivered.

http://www.southseasspas.com/

Thoughts, comments, recommendations. ANY input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Scott

I thought I knew most brands out there but I don't know anything about Southseas. Therefore I can't speak about them specifically but I do I have to comment on one thing. If you do compare them to others please realize they are not giving the true running HP of those pumps. Their 5 HP pump ratings are really 5 BHP, which is Brake horse power and equates to 2.5 HP or less when in use. I'm always leery of any brands that use the deceptive brake HP in the presentation. If you look at the major brands and wonder why their pumps are only 2.0 or 2.5 HP in comparison and not 5.0 you'll know why. I'd suggest you at least look at some other brands for comparison and I'd start by checking out the dealer locators on the websites of Caldera, D1, Hot Spring, Jacuzzi and Sundance as examples as are all good quality brands that are fully insulated. If you do go with Southseas at least they're fully foamed which is good for those nasty Rochester area winters which I will NEVER miss.

We have look at Hot Springs , Vita Spas and Caldera (which I believe is Hot Springs). The Vita Spas Monarque is $6995 + $200 delivery and tax from another dealer. It's hard to really separate them. The South Seas Spas is a great looking tub, lots of features but who knows. 3 years parts and labor also.

As any buyer you're looking for the best bang for your dollar.

Thoughts?

I agree with the horsepower diversion. I also agree with going with a recognized brand. Think "devil's advocate" and factor in post-sale. Jacuzzi, Hot Springs, Sundance. When a salesman from an off-brand at the Fair told me HIS spas had all 10 horsepower I laughed. "And they are the most energy efficient as well, correct?" Am I driving it or relaxing in it? Steer clear if it's not recognizable. Have you seen it run or wet tested it? let us know.

That's where my head was also. I have seen on run but have not wet tested. When you see them run, they all look the same :). Being and Engineer, I'm trying to find the best without paying a fortune. I really don't know if because we are in a small market the tubs seem expensive or that's just the "going rate" for a Vita Spa. With the 5 dealers I have to deal with they all carry different brands so I can't even price compare against them.

Go with a well known brand, or at least an AMAZING dealer, as someone else said, even a great dealer can make owning a sub par spa enjoyable.

They rate those pumps like car amps, using Max power, amps that say 1000 watts realistically put out about half, if even that. The only amps I've ever had put out more than what they're rated are Diamonds.

Spas to choose from seem to be Vita Spa Monarque, Hot Springs Hot Spot Rhythem and South Seas was what we looked at other than the Master Spa Road Show. There is a Jucuzzi dealer also we could look at.

I've heard Vita Spa may be a poor choice from maintenance perspective. We also have Caldera. It just seems like its more and more money. 7,000-10,000 seems to be average around here. Does that seem about right?

We did sit in the South Seas ans Vita Spa and the Hot Spot Rhythem. The South Seas sat great (dry). The others sat okay, even the Vita sat good. All had adjustable jets.

vita spa Monarque has dual 3.0hp / 5.96bhp. (1-2sp and 1-1sp)

South seas 748B has dual 4.8bhp (1-2sp and 1-1sp)

I'm in Wayland, NY about an hour south of Rochester.

I just started reading about Sundance. I've heard Jucuzzi has changed and cheapened and may be on the verge of bankruptcy... But I may have that last part confused with one of the other "name brands". I agree with buying a no name spa. That's why I was checking.

I am so confused. I'm want a good tub, but hate over paying. Part of the issue is the area I am assuming. I'm looking at other dealers but they all have different brands.

What brand / model Sundance are you looking at?

What about the Hot Springs Grandee? A little steep on price...

The Grandee is our largest, fully loaded spa so if that's outside your budget we make the Vanguard which is really just a smaller version of the Grandee or a Limelight Pulse assuming you are looking for good sized non-lounge versions. We also make a very popular value line of spas called Hot Spot which have taken off the past 5 years; you may find the Rhythm to your liking.

I will have to look at those. I found one other we may consider: Caldera Salina... Thoughts on this compared to Grandee. I keep getting pushed to a Vita Spa Monarque by the sales person and it is cheaper. He keeps telling me that it's more comfortable than the Hot Springs Spas. The Salina is 8495 and the Vita Spa Monarque is 6995. So it's not a commission thing. May be a kick back thing.

Thoughts?

Side note - I appreciate all the input. I've learned so much in such a short period of time. It's still overwhelming but starting to clear a little.

I will have to look at those. I found one other we may consider: Caldera Salina... Thoughts on this compared to Grandee. I keep getting pushed to a Vita Spa Monarque by the sales person and it is cheaper. He keeps telling me that it's more comfortable than the Hot Springs Spas. The Salina is 8495 and the Vita Spa Monarque is 6995. So it's not a commission thing. May be a kick back thing.

Thoughts?

Side note - I appreciate all the input. I've learned so much in such a short period of time. It's still overwhelming but starting to clear a little.

The salesman wants to make a sale, he probably doesn't care which one it is and probably thinks you'll feel better about the lower priced option. Be careful of anyone telling you what will be most comfortable to you, only a wet test by you truly answers that.

Its tough to compare the Salina to the Grandee, the better comparison to the Grandee would be the Niagara. The Vanguard would be closer to the Salina. They're all good choices. You can't go wrong with any of them; its all about which one makes the most sense to you. You might also look at the Vanto if you're looking for another lounge-less Caldera.

From Wikipedia;

"The horsepower used for electrical machines is defined as exactly 746 Watts"

Amps X Volts = Watts

If you take the voltage of a motor, multiply it by the amp rating of the motor, then divide the results by 746, you'll get the true HP of the motor when under FULL load. Rarely is a motor ever under full load....this would cause is to fail rather prematurely. I'd love it if someone could put an amp meter on an operating pump, and get a voltage reading, then do the math and compare it to the HP listed on the motor.

Well... Sundance is out of the running. The closest dealer is too far away and will not travel to Wayland, NY to deliver or service. But he was honest and up front about it so we didn't drive the hour and forty minutes to Amherst.

So... Wet testing seems to be the other issue around here. Hesselson's in Elmira, NY is about an hour away. They sell Caldera, Hot Spring, Hot Spot, MAAX and Vita Spas. They are the ones that are leaning towards the Vita Spa. I asked about a wet test and they have one model but don't really do any wet testing. They are a fairly large spa dealer. They have about 25 tubs on the floor all different.

I've got two or three in the Rochester, NY area - about an hour away.

Clover Home Leisure, started with me towards the Hot Spring Grandee. I have to go look and see what other models they have, but only deal in Hot Springs.

Ace Swim & Leisure carry Jacuzzi Premium, Mira, And Strong / Dura Sport. Pettis Pools carrys Dimension One Spas, Elite Spa and MAAX.

North Eastern Pool and Spa carry:

Nordic Spas

Dreammaker Spas

Sunrise Spas

Artesian Spas

Tidal Fit Swim Spas

Outdoor Accents carries only Marquis

I'll probably start a new thread since we really aren't talking about South Seas anymore... But here is my latest.

I think we've narrowed it down to these four units (no wet test yet):

Vita Spa - Monarque - $7195 + tax - no cover assist

MAAX Spas - 480 - floor model about a year old, never wet tested - $7495+tax - no cover assist (calling me tomorrow on getting price down to $7000)

Jacuzzi - J345 w/ UV Clear Ray - $7500 + tax and may throw in EZ Pad (calling me tomorrow about total package price closer to $7000)

Mira - 7000 - $5500 + tax

All include delivery, steps, cover,cover assist (unless noted) and starter chemicals.

Thoughts? The Jacuzzi seemed really solid and they are a pretty well know brand. Didn't seem as "flashy" as the other models. Mira made by Dynasty I have not heard of before.

Edit: I believe Mira is made by Four Winds.

Thanks all...

The Jacuzzi and Mira are from the same dealer and they have four stores total in the Rochester, NY area.