Buying A Used Hot Tub

Chas

As a dealer, I have sold many used tubs. People expect a warranty of some sort when buying from a dealer, so I go through them completely before they go on sale. I personally do not sell very many tubs which are not from the brand I rep, so I have access to all the parts and information I need to easily get them into shape. They may be on my showroom floor all shined up, but they might also be on a dusty shelf in my warehouse when the people decide to buy them, so I always set them up - hot and running - before we deliver them. That way, the customer can come and see the tub in action before it shows up at their home. Only one or two have ever climbed into the tub, hot and wet, but I always offer. (I usually require a 50% deposit before I will fill and heat a used tub to be sure they are serious and I don't waste time and money dusting it off, hooking it up, filling it up and heating it up, but the wet test helps me as much as them: I am then sure that everything is in working order before delivery, and the whole process helps to calm fears on the part of the buyer. As a side note, it also generates some excitement when they stop by and I lift the lid on crystal clear, hot water. And even more so when I hit the jet button...

So I wanted to offer a PSA of sorts: if you are buying used from a dealer, ask for this. If they are not willing, you may want to consider some other source. Or, if you are really set on that tub from that place, pay a repair guy to go with you to have a look at the tub. Having a customer walk in with his own independent repair person is an amazing way to communicate that you are serious about buying, and serious about making sure the tub is exactly as it is being presented. And it might just save you a ton of money if the tub in question isn't going to give you good service for a long long time.

Next, I want to address buying from a private party. You will be completely alone once you pick up the tub. All alone. So, I would NEVER buy a used tub which you have not seen full and running. And hot. In just a few minutes, you can see if all functions are working correctly, see if the thing is capable of heating and holding heat, see if the jets are all working, diverter valves turning, air valves and other adjustment items working, etc. Can the jets be interchanged? Then do so, please.

What if you show up to the house and there simply is no power connection available? Ask them why. If there is any indication that the tub was hooked up but isn't now - for instance, conduit sitting in a pile, the sign of a box removed from the wall, or even an empty space in the electrical panel - find out exactly why on earth they chose to disconnect prior to trying to sell.

If the tub is in a storage container or self-store place, I would make a kind offer: they can deliver the tub to your home, hook it up there, (even temp is fine) and do the wet test there. If it works, you will pay them, if not, not. From there they will have x number of days to retrieve the spa if water comes flooding out, or the motors scream or the heater doesn't work. Most people will, of course, refuse - but think about it: that risk is exactly the risk they are asking YOU to take! Nothing will tell you more about how sure they are that the tub is in the kind of condition they are telling you it is in.

An alternative would be to pay them half what they are asking, and invite them to come collect the rest at your home once the tub is up and running, assuming that "it runs perfectly" as they are promising. These crazy situations are happening more and more here in So Cal as the economy puts the squeeze on people, but you need to have some agreement that if the tub turns out to be junk they will have either just sold it to you for 50% off, or you can pay the bill for the repair out of the balance.

Finally, what about free tubs? We all see them in Craigslist, and I even get phone calls asking if I want to come and pick up a spa. Yes, I do have the nerve to ask them if I can see it up and running before I take it away, free. And no, I will not come get it for free if it is old enough to have wood siding, or hasn't been running in years. Sorry. And I don't think you should either.

This is not snobbery, but if you can't afford to buy one, you most likely can't afford to fix one up. It may end up sitting in your yard for years. There is no free lunch here: you are not going to get a $10,000 hot tub for $50 and a case of beer. Here are some generic prices, and I would invite other dealers to chime in about these costs. You will need a new cover on most of these free-bees. - $400. You will need to pay a mover - trust me, it is money well spent - $400. You will need to pay an electrician or handyman to connect it up - $400 - 1000. Some tubs may need a sub-panel or GFCI breakers - $125 each...

I'll add more when I have the time, and I would invite others who have gone down this road to post.

B)

Don't forget the average service call is $100 an hour if the repair is more than you can do. Don't forget all the chemicals and new filters you're going to need, depending on the brand and amount of filters, you're in for another $150. Most of the jets will need to be replaced... $10-$15 a piece. if you don't have a pad or spot for it yet, you're gonna need to have that added too.

I could not agree more, buying a used tub that is not full of hot water is, well, plainly an invitation to get financially hosed.

Chas is correct on all points, buying from a private party leaves you alone post sale.

I would add two additional important facts.

You can have a tub in place, powered up, and working perfectly, have it carefully and professionally moved, and end up with problems.

Why?

Moving a tub puts stress on the cabinet, especially if the cabinet is a few years old, which puts stress on the foam, and consequently the plumbing, this often results in nusiance leaks.

A pump that is leaking ever so slightly, but is used daily will typically run just fine, and silently, yet if allowed to sit for a week while you get your install and electrical done, the front motor bearing can rust, and scream like a pig stuck under a fence when you power up the spa.

Buying a used tub from a dealer who will put a warranty on it is the only logical choice, in my opinion.

Unless you just love working on tubs, or paying someone like me to do it.

I bought my spa used, I saw it filled and running before I plonked down my money. The seller, a hot tub storage and moving company not a dealer, delivered it. I wired it up myself, filled it with water. And I balanced the water, thanks to this forum.

I haven't had any problems with it. It has run flawlessly for the last five years. We soak anywhere from three to five times a week year round.

There is nothing wrong with buying used.

Dave

Dave -

I hope nothing I wrote was construed as saying there was anything wrong with buying used. I sell used tubs! I was trying to put down some things to make it end up a better experience - things like seeing your spa filled and running, and buying from somebody who has a location you could go to and ask for something to be done if it turns out not to be what they represented it to be. You did what I recommended, and have had a good experience.

B)

Here's where I'm at so far with my new-to-me used tub (purchased/adopted from a relative who suddenly had neither the time nor the money to keep it running, and instead preferred her jetted bathtub). The spa was running, but: cover weighed easily 50 lbs per side, ripped, and was growing moss, the spinner jets were missing, the Motojet was not motoing, the lounger pillow was blistered, and cover lifter was broken. On top of that, it hadn't been maintained in months - 0 FC, musty smell from the otherwise clear water.

I decontaminated and started maintaining it for a week before agreeing to purchase it, as there would be considerable expenses if this turned ugly. It's worked out, but here's what I'm in, so far:

2001 HotSpring Jetsetter $500

Professional moving, about 30 miles (licensed, insured): $325

New premium cover, gas-assist lifter, 1/4" foam floating blanket: $700

New Tri-X filters: $150

New lounger pillow: $70

Electrical hookup supplies (DIY): $100

Test kit (TF100+): $80

Chems (Bleach, Borax, Muriatic Acid, Spa System Flush, measuring kit): $50

Spa Vac: $45

New jets, jet tool, top deck valve handles: $200

Control-o-Matic Chlormaker inline SWCG: $300

I still plan on renewing the synthetic Everwood siding, and I'd really like to build some new steps and decking around it. Haven't installed the SWCG yet as I'm still just getting a handle on the spa routine first.

Total thus far: $2,520. Yep. It adds up quickly!

Don't forget ongoing costs: Time and Money. Right now, I'm spending less on electric than I was last year at this time, so it is kind of lost in the noise. Time-wise, though, I do a full water test suite weekly, dose chlorine daily (Dichlor/Bleach), and with a 20% FC loss per day at 80F, I can dose it appropriately for four or five days ahead if I am gone so I return to 4 or 5ppm FC. That works out well... but again, time and money.

I'm figuring hot tub ownership works out to about $500-700/year... whether you buy new or used. These things have a lifespan, and once they start getting along in years, you need to repair/replace parts. If I get 5 years out of this tub, I'll be doing well. If it goes longer than that, cool!

The pros: helps me relax before bed, loosens up snarled muscles, and sparkly clear blue water just looks so cool.

Cheers.

I have a Jetsetter on my floor for sale, used. I sold it to it's previous owner and moved it a couple of times along the way. He traded up to a larger tub. The Jetsetter is like new - runs flawlessly, looks good, and is 25 years old.

B)

Here's where I'm at so far with my new-to-me used tub (purchased/adopted from a relative who suddenly had neither the time nor the money to keep it running, and instead preferred her jetted bathtub). The spa was running, but: cover weighed easily 50 lbs per side, ripped, and was growing moss, the spinner jets were missing, the Motojet was not motoing, the lounger pillow was blistered, and cover lifter was broken. On top of that, it hadn't been maintained in months - 0 FC, musty smell from the otherwise clear water.

I decontaminated and started maintaining it for a week before agreeing to purchase it, as there would be considerable expenses if this turned ugly. It's worked out, but here's what I'm in, so far:

2001 HotSpring Jetsetter $500

Professional moving, about 30 miles (licensed, insured): $325

New premium cover, gas-assist lifter, 1/4" foam floating blanket: $700

New Tri-X filters: $150

New lounger pillow: $70

Electrical hookup supplies (DIY): $100

Test kit (TF100+): $80

Chems (Bleach, Borax, Muriatic Acid, Spa System Flush, measuring kit): $50

Spa Vac: $45

New jets, jet tool, top deck valve handles: $200

Control-o-Matic Chlormaker inline SWCG: $300

I still plan on renewing the synthetic Everwood siding, and I'd really like to build some new steps and decking around it. Haven't installed the SWCG yet as I'm still just getting a handle on the spa routine first.

Total thus far: $2,520. Yep. It adds up quickly!

Don't forget ongoing costs: Time and Money. Right now, I'm spending less on electric than I was last year at this time, so it is kind of lost in the noise. Time-wise, though, I do a full water test suite weekly, dose chlorine daily (Dichlor/Bleach), and with a 20% FC loss per day at 80F, I can dose it appropriately for four or five days ahead if I am gone so I return to 4 or 5ppm FC. That works out well... but again, time and money.

I'm figuring hot tub ownership works out to about $500-700/year... whether you buy new or used. These things have a lifespan, and once they start getting along in years, you need to repair/replace parts. If I get 5 years out of this tub, I'll be doing well. If it goes longer than that, cool!

The pros: helps me relax before bed, loosens up snarled muscles, and sparkly clear blue water just looks so cool.

Cheers.

Glad that you are enjoying your tub and have realistic expectations about cost. Actually, I think that many tub owners would have life cycle costs about twice what you project...

• 2 weeks later...

Glad that you are enjoying your tub and have realistic expectations about cost. Actually, I think that many tub owners would have life cycle costs about twice what you project...

Thanks. Well, my sis' got a good decade of enjoyment out of it, and I recall they paid about $6k for it new... plus a couple of moves, a new heater and/or pump (she wasn't sure which), filters, chems, etc. I think she did pretty well with it, so that works out to $600 a year, give or take, and she got a residual out of it along with the invite to come enjoy it anytime when visiting. Thankfully it didn't start leaking after the move... just a bunch of components that needed replacing.

My tub was used from craigslist. I think I got lucky, I called the guy first and said I would be over after class *College*. I showed up and it was full and running at 104, turbo worked then but during the move something must have happened as it now shorts out the board. He gave me a modest price ($400, for a great lakes spa *2000, older* but it holds 8 people and was in great condition). He said he had just replaced both motors in last three years so I am hoping to get good use out of them. I gave him 100 then and would pay the rest after I picked it up. That weekend I had myself and 4 other buddies take a truck and a flat bed used to haul cars over to his place. We lifted the tub which I am guessing was around 600lbs or so right onto the bed and tied it down. The guy gave me a ton of chemicals *bromine set up* and even gave me the wiring, the breaker, and the conduit. My parents paid for the costs of my deck to be made I had just gotten the house so they called it a "house warming gift". I have an uncle who is an electrician, all in all I installed a set of regular outlets outside my house so that was about 70 bucks but had nothing to really do with the tub. In the end the total costs were:

Hot Tub itself: 400

Pizza and gas money for moving the tub: 40

Deck *Not paid by myself*: 350

Deck Stain: 30

Wiring: Free *70 for a set of outlets to run lights around the tub*

Will need a new cover: 325

Need new blower *may just cap*: 125

The reason I say i got lucky was that, a local great lakes dealer called the guy after I did and said they would pay $800 and move it the same day. The seller told them I had called about it first and would give me first shot.

• 3 weeks later...

I just put a deposit down on my first hot tub, a 2 year old Dreammaker Odyssey I found on Craigslist. The guy is moving and needed to sell it so I got him down to $1200 total including cover, steps and all his remaining chemicals. The first time I saw it, it was empty, so I was able to inspect the jets and overall condition of the shell, and everything still looked brand new. The seller was nice enough to fill the tub with water and I came back the next day to check it out. The water was nice and hot, all jets work, no leaks that I could see from inside the equipment panel. Only thing that wasn't working was the LED for the waterfall. The buttons all light up on the control panel, though it's possible the light one may not work. The only thing I'm leary of is he said he's only used it about 10 times and they drained and unplugged it when it wasn't being used. Hopefully that hasn't messed with the equipment too much.

I'm pretty excited to get this thing home as originally I was in the market for a Softub since I'm limited to 110V and didn't have the money for a more traditional 110V like the hot spots or new Dreammaker/Fleeflows but to get a spa like this one for almost 70% off and it only being 2 years old, I couldn't pass that up. I really hope it works out, or in worst case needs some minor repairs (light and/or control panel)

I'll let you all know how it goes