Change Default Temp Of Spa After Power Outage?

Hello,

I'm in an area (florida) with frequent power outages or surges, and the spa always resets to 100 degrees after any power outage. I often keep the temp low during the summer and this is very inconvenient. I need to change the 'default' temp of the spa.

Any suggestions to make it recall the last temp or simply reset to another temp?

Maybe a small battery just powering the motherboard, or a UPS of some sort just for the motherboard, (it's a 220V swim spa) http://www.premiumleisure.com/swimspas.shtml, control module Balboa 55940 . I called the spa manufacturer and they say it's not possible to change the default temp, but I find that hard to believe. It's probably flashed on a chip.

In another post, I read an interesting suggestion of putting a resistor in the temperature thermister sensor to fool the thermostat into thinking it was 100 degrees when it was actually only, say, 90. But it has a safety lockout to prevent us from setting up to 110 degrees (to therefore achieve 100 degrees actual). I suppose I could wire a switch to turn that resistor on and off, but I have no idea what type of resistor I could get for that.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thanks in advance.

Wow - what a hassle! That is one of those things nobody even thinks to ask in advance. Many tubs will return to the user settings after power interruptions, I would pursue changing the control box. It would be nice if somebody with more Balboa experience (factory included) could offer some suggestions on another box with this very basic feature...

Failing in that, you could have an electrician wire in a trip box - a simple relay with a single button on it which would shut off and stay off in the case of a power interruption. I have wired these for people living in remote locations (in my cases it was to ease the surge or "inrush" when the power came backs, since HotSpring tubs do restart with user settings in place) but it was easy enough. In one case I was able to mount a simple warning light so the owner could tell the unit had tripped, but coming home to a bunch of blinking clocks tells you it's time to go restart the tub!

It works like this: the power holds the relay closed and the tub works as it was designed. When the power stops, the relay drops and then stays open until you come out and push the button to close it again. At that time you reset the temp you want, and the tub will be a few degrees cooler, not on it's way to 100!

HTH

B)

I once had a customer raise a huge fuss about this, and ended up getting a new eprom from the manufacturer (leisure bay-balboa)- worked like a charm on an older lite leader board(LB102R1B or V-124RR1B)

Ask to speak with technical support from premium leisure, and ask them to ask Balboa.

There it is!

B)