Fluctuating Bromine

ed3120

The bromine level in my spa (360 gallon) has been weird lately. About a week and a half ago, my bromine was over 10 ppm. I have a Spa Frog system, so I turned the Spa frog down to 0 so that it doesn’t introduce any more bromine. I waited a few days with the tub opened a few hours per day and eventually got the bromine level down to 0. I left it at zero for 2 more days, and the tub naturally started to turn from clear to green. (Which proves that the bromine level was 0.)

Yesterday, I turned my Spa Frog to 1, which is the lowest setting that isn’t off. I also put in 2oz of Fresh N’ Clear shock. Today, I woke up and tested the water and it was up to 5ppm of bromine (that’s as high as my test strip goes). My alkalinity is a little high (160), but my pH was close to 7.6 when I tested it 2 days ago. What could be happening?

He was incorrect. MPS is an oxidizer and converts bromide to bromine. Chlorine also does that as does ozone (though ozone also converts a portion of bromine to bromate).

The MPS may oxidize some other bather waste faster than it oxidizes bromide, but if there's any MPS leftover it will oxidize bromide to bromine. Within some number of hours, you won't have any MPS left in a bromine spa -- you'll have a higher bromine level instead. If you use chlorine instead of MPS, you will accomplish the same thing of producing more bromine and if you use bleach to do this then it will be at a far lower cost.