Electrical Help Needed....hotsprings 20 Amp & 30 Amp Gfi's

Hello, I recently got an older Hot Springs Sovereign Hot Tub.

The prior owner had it hooked up with a 30 amp double pole gfi breaker for heater and a 20 amp double pole gfi breaker for the pumps. So that is the set up im using and I used a 12-3 wire for the 20 amp and a 10-3 wire for the 30 amp. I used a smaller sub panel for these 2 breakers and I have a 60 amp double pole breaker in the main box that feeds this smaller sub box for the tub only.

When I hook up the power to the tub the jets work great and no issues but the heater breaker will trip right away. There is a note on the breaker for the jets that says to use the common on that breaker from the tub but what do I use for the common on the breaker for the heater??

Tthe wires from the tub have 2 blue, 2 red, and 1 white. I have hooked up the white to the heater to the ground bar that is attached to the box and that doesnt work, if i dont hook up common to anything it will trip and I dont know what else to do. I have searched different forums and no luck and I dont have owners manual and need some help and no contact with prior owner.

Thanks in advance......

You don't have (or need) a neutral wire for the 30A breaker. It is just the two hot wire. The little pigtail white wire from the breaker goes to the neutral bus in your subpanel.

The other two hots from the 20A breaker AND the neutral wire ALL go to the 2P 20A breaker. That's two hots, and one neutral wire, all three of which go from spa to 20A breaker. And as on the 30A breaker, the built-in pigtail white wire goes from the breaker to the neutral bus in your sub panel.

If all of that is correct, and your 30A breaker is tripping, you may have a bad heater. Unplug it and try resetting both breakers.

Hope you noticed that there are two pairs of different-sized wires: you will need one red and one blue to each of the breakers. The larger ones to the 30A and the smaller ones to the 20A.

HTH

B)