2004 Sundance Optima - Switch To Change To 60A?

What specifically do I need to do to a 2004 Sundance Optima to configure it for 60A? That is, what jumper(s) or dip switch(es) do I need to change, and what do I need to change them to? I read in the manual and also online that a configuration change is needed, but nothing says exactly what to change.

There should be a jumper diagram in the manual. Just move the jumper from the pins that represent the 50A in the diagram to the pins shown for 60A using small needle nose pliers. Obviously with the power turned off.. Make sure you have 6AWG wire rated for 60+ amps (THHN in conduit is best) and that your breakers are 60A (obviously).

6 gauge wire is HUGE when it comes to connecting to a power block. How does Sundance allow for that, or do you just use pigtails of smaller wire for the last few inches?

B)

No, the manual doesn't say which jumpers to move. The later 880 manual says which ones, but the earlier 850 doesn't, and the boards are very different based on what the manual DOES show. My manual shows an area on my board labeled J8, with the word OPTIONS, but that's as detailed as it gets. I've been told it may be printed on the inside of the panel, however I don't have the spa yet so can't check.

Sorry that I didn't specify what I've got electrical-wise. I've got three THHN 6 wires and one smaller ground wire (8AWG, as mentioned above?) from my main breaker panel in PVC condiut. It was put in place by the previous owner and is connected to nothing on the spa end, just jutting out of the conduit. I purchased a 60A spa panel at Home Depot, and a 60A breaker to replace the 50A that's currently in the main panel. My house has 200A service (built in 2005). I purchased three strands of THHN 6 wire, black, red and green, and will run it from the spa panel to the spa in PVC, connecting to a flexible non-metallic conduit when it comes back up to the surface, then to the spa.

Follow-up question - can I use THHN 6 wire for the ground, or will that be a problem, either fitting it in the terminal block in the spa, or because it's 8AWG from the house to the spa panel?

if the t-block is the same in the 850 and my 880 then you will not be able to get the green 6 to work. You will have to trim some strands (which i believe is against code though i really don't know). You can use as low as 10 for the ground per code though my 880 manual says to use 8.

Sounds like the rest of your plan is good. As for the jumper you can kind of guess and check to see if you get 2 jets + bubbles + heat. You could also just try calling a dealer.

No, the manual doesn't say which jumpers to move. The later 880 manual says which ones, but the earlier 850 doesn't, and the boards are very different based on what the manual DOES show. My manual shows an area on my board labeled J8, with the word OPTIONS, but that's as detailed as it gets. I've been told it may be printed on the inside of the panel, however I don't have the spa yet so can't check.

Sorry that I didn't specify what I've got electrical-wise. I've got three THHN 6 wires and one smaller ground wire (8AWG, as mentioned above?) from my main breaker panel in PVC condiut. It was put in place by the previous owner and is connected to nothing on the spa end, just jutting out of the conduit. I purchased a 60A spa panel at Home Depot, and a 60A breaker to replace the 50A that's currently in the main panel. My house has 200A service (built in 2005). I purchased three strands of THHN 6 wire, black, red and green, and will run it from the spa panel to the spa in PVC, connecting to a flexible non-metallic conduit when it comes back up to the surface, then to the spa.

Follow-up question - can I use THHN 6 wire for the ground, or will that be a problem, either fitting it in the terminal block in the spa, or because it's 8AWG from the house to the spa panel?

If you are sure that ALL electrical components are capable of supporting 60 amps, install a jumper pin across the two terminals at JP9 position #7.

John

Thank you for the specific jumper info, n1oty. I received the spa on Saturday and learned that the 850 board IS essentially the same as the 880 - at least as far as the jumpers are concerned. I changed mine to match and am able to run the heater and both pumps on high simultaneously. So far, so good. One unexpected small bonus - it has the multi-color LED. I wasn't aware of that when I bought it. :-)

Oh yeah - I went to Home Depot and bought an 8AWG wire for the ground - that would have been difficult to fix if I had run all three larger wires first. Thank you, arches2!