Sundance Optima Used - Price?

Can someone give me their opinion on weather a 1 1/2 year old Optima. I check the serial and it was built in September 2010. It appears to be in excellant shape. I have observed it running and the owner is moving. I would have to either move it myself or hire a professional. It has no radio and has ozone.

Two questions -

1. Should I move it myself? Does it really put that much stress on the unit?

2. Is 4500 a fair price?

I've read countless threads and this appears to be a good price but I would appreciate any feedback.

Thank You!

I have moved thousands of spas over the years. I have never ONCE had the customer tell me they were sorry they paid professionals to do what can be a difficult and dangerous job!

We charge $450 - more if there are stairs, fences or gates to take down and put back up, etc.

HTH

B)

I think that's a very good hot tub at a very good price. It's a big tub though, so I would definitely hire a professional to move it. I think I paid about $300 to have mine moved (an older Optima) about three years ago. The guy who just bought it from me also hired professionals to move it.

It was a 2004 in very good condition and I sold it for $2200. Had new heater, brand new filter and new pump. Was going to need a cover in the near future, maybe a year. Looking at what I can find used now I kind of wish I would have kept it, but since I'm the only one that used it I am looking for a smaller tub. I think the guy who bought it paid $300 or $350 to have it moved. I think he was going about 30 miles and it was going from a flat surface to another flat surface.

800 to move it is a lot but what you describe sounds like you NEED a pro to move it. I had two other guys to move my altmar and we had everything we could do to move it. Plus it cost me $200 anyway in bribes to get them to help me. hire a pro. You should be able to get the tub for $3500 to max $4000. Make sure the cover and pillows are ok. use that as a reason to knock it down. Are they going to throw in the electric stuff? That's worth a couple hundred too. It cost me $400 in material to install my tub myself in wire, disconnect, breaker, and conduit. 55 feet of 6 AWG THHN wire is expensive. Nice thing about the sundances is you don't need to run a neutral (white) wire to the tub so that saves some of the cost in electrical (that i ran anyway before i knew).

I do like the fact that Sundance has gotten rid of the neutral wire, but I usually pull one anyway to allow for a GFCI-protected outlet near the tub. This is code, and of course you may have one on the house which will meet the requirement, but I like to have the ability to put additional breakers in the sub panel for lighting, bug zappers, outlets for the BBQ or boom box - whatever.

The Neutral wire can be down-sized.

B)

Arches - that's good information. Thank you very much.

Just to confirm - I should grab the breaker in the main panel, the disconnect (that's on the outside of the house), wire (from main panel to the disconnect?), and the conduit (from the panel on the outside of the house to the tub). Is this correct?

Thanks again!

Yes - you should take all that the PO will let you take. I draw the line at nice-looking patio furniture, but boy you can save a fortune if you don't have to go buy GFCI breakers and copper wire. Any little bit = a savings here, but it's all up to the PO. If you notice they have painted and you will be leaving a 'scar' by pulling the boxes and conduit off the walls of their house, then leave them and grab the breakers and wire. The whip is usually just in the way and I snag it on most moves, pulling all the wire, uncut, from the sub panel or shut-off box.

B)

I do like the fact that Sundance has gotten rid of the neutral wire, but I usually pull one anyway to allow for a GFCI-protected outlet near the tub. This is code, and of course you may have one on the house which will meet the requirement...

Yeah i was unclear. you need to run a neutral to the GFCI box outside but don't need to go to the spa. I had another 30 feet of wire to get from my disconnect to the spa (though the distance wasn't 1/3 of that). If you do run a neutral to the spa from the GFCI it will trip the breaker (ask me how i know).

I do like the fact that Sundance has gotten rid of the neutral wire, but I usually pull one anyway to allow for a GFCI-protected outlet near the tub. This is code, and of course you may have one on the house which will meet the requirement...

Yeah i was unclear. you need to run a neutral to the GFCI box outside but don't need to go to the spa. I had another 30 feet of wire to get from my disconnect to the spa (though the distance wasn't 1/3 of that). If you do run a neutral to the spa from the GFCI it will trip the breaker (don't ask me how i know).