This Defies Logic. Need Expert Technical Advice.

I purchased an Infinity hot tub 5 years ago. It has a Balboa Instruments control board #54585. For about a year now it has been overheating. Will heat to anywhere from 105 to 109 regardless to what temp I have it set to. I tried swapping both of the sensors but the 2 sensors I installed were questionable (came from a used control unit). No change in symptoms. Then about a month ago my GFCI started to trip intermittently. I removed 1 of the 2 legs that provides power from the circuit board to the heater. The connections are flat copper bands that are labelled HT1 &HT2. This SHOULD prevent the heater from turning on. Now....the GFCI no longer trips...but the heater is still coming on. How is this possible??????

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

You are heating with the pump. Cut WAY down on how much it runs, and your problem should go away.

At least, the problem with the spa. Your other problems may not be as easy.

HTH

B)

First, it is very dangerous to continue to power a suspected ground faulted heater with even just one cold pin connected to power. Disconnect both heater connections first. If the tub continues to overheat as Chas mentioned, you have excessive filtration time and it must be hot in your area. If the overheating issue goes away, it means that the ground faulted heater was powered at 120 volts by completing a circuit through ground, an incredibly dangerous scenario. Replace the heater and your GFCI in that case.

John