Question On Which Dealer To Use For Caldera Tahitian

outrag1

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. We have been looking for a hot tub for our 2nd home in NH and we live in MA most of the time. We are up to the 2nd home pretty much every other weekend and vacations, holidays, etc.

We have researched many tubs such as Hot Springs, Sundance, and initially Master Spa (no longer looking there). Dealer location limits and models available to look at, let alone wet test makes this a difficult process. We are also restricted by size somewhat and felt that the Caldera Martinique would fit into our screened in porch. We wet tested it in MA and thought it was very nice.

Looking into the Caldera line a little further I thought the Tahitian, being similar to the Martinique but a step up in series was the way to go. The problem is the following:

MA dealer, 2 hours away from 2nd home will sell Tahitian new with package for $8000. I know this is a pretty decent deal. Future warranty work however will cost me $200 for transportation costs (4 hours round trip). This company has been in business about 30 years and many years ago sold Hot Springs as well, but Watkins wanted them to switch to Caldera several years back.

NH dealer, 15 minutes from 2nd home will sell Tahitian new with package for $9500. This is close to the price I was getting just doing phone research from a few other dealers as well. This company has been in business for approx 8 years and they also sell D1 and Nordic.

So obviously the $1500 difference with the MA dealer is a big deal. I could get warranty work 8 times over to equal this difference with the NH dealer. The problem I have is that I would much rather have someone closer to the home, that could address an emergency or come when I'm not there during the week for maintenance, etc.

Both dealers seem to be reputable, registered with the BBB, etc. The NH dealer is in a touristy area with skiing, etc. and maybe can charge more, I don't know. Also wanted to state that both "packages" are similarly equipped. I think the NH place supplies some extra chemicals in full size bottles, but other than that, they both have spa frog, ozone (which is standard on the Utopia series), cover lifter, steps, etc.

What would you do?

Thanks - Bob

NH dealer knows about the price difference and doesn't seem too concerned. He said something about some dealers low balling the price to get the sale....

I guess I'm asking at what price point does it make sense to go with the local dealer? If prices were equal, the closer dealer would make sense. If the closer dealer were $1000 more or $500 more, are there considerations with warranty service or other maintenance issues where the proximity would make the extra cost worth it???

Since it will be in NH and not in Mass, I'd strongly recommend spending more for the local assistance. Anyone with a four hour drive will NOT be able to get to you quickly in the event of a catastrophic failure on a bitter winter weekend. This ain't California. This stuff can freeze up. I'm an independent, authorized servicer for Caldera in Mass and I don't travel to NH except for insurance investigations and commercial work. Alternatively, you could buy your tub in Mass and simply pay the NH dealer for emergency work, but a lot of dealers will only service what they sell.

John

Thank you John.

I appreciate the advice and that's kind of what my gut is telling me too. It's just hard to swallow that much of a price difference if a person thinks a new product will have minimal issues...

I haven't pulled the trigger yet, but experience has taught me that price is not everything, especially with something this big and stationary.

-Bob

Let me give you the benefit of my 28 years in the service side of this industry. I've never sold tubs, so I cannot be accused of trying to subvert any dealer to help myself. The only way this arrangement makes any sense is if you are very handy, both electrically and mechanically, and you'll be around to service the equipment. If that does not describe you, you'll want reasonably local support. By your own admission, you've stated that you have contacted other dealers and all indications are that the NH dealer is within the norm. That alone should tell you something.

Another point that I would caution you about is that the Mass dealer will be legally obligated to collect 6.25 percent sales tax, or $500. NH does not have a sales tax. Now, I only see a $1000 differential.

John

Is the MA dealer over in Dudley? Art 's a nice guy and they are a very good dealer, but the fact that he is 2 hours away is significant.

N1oty brings up a valid point with the sales tax. As much as I like Art over in Dudley, If it were me, I'd see if I could get the guy in NH to move a few hundred on the price and go with him. When you need service you will be going to the local guy and unless the local guy is a complete tool, I'd be inclined to work with him.