Help Leak In Spa - Last Resort

I have a Hot Springs Envoy spa that is about 7 years old. It has a minor leak. Due to the location of the tub on my deck and the remote location of my home, the labor repair cost alone will be about $4,000 (removal of the deck railing, crane, etc.). I had a technician come out and look they can only access the front panel where all of the pumps and control panel are located. They do not see a leak at the pumps. As a last resort, I am going to try a liquid stop leak in a bottle product. Has anybody had any experience (success?) with this type of repair? I have looked at several brands: Fix a leak “The Orginal” by Marlig Industries, Pool and Spa Leak fix, Watertite Leak Stopper for Spa./Pool, Leisure Time Stop Leak. Surprisingly the Marlig product gets rave reviews online.

I am only interested in feedback from people who have used this type of products. As I stated the labor and equipment rental to repair the tub will be over $4,000. This is a last ditch effort. If it doesn't work I will be investing in a new hot tub.

Any feedback regarding the leak in a bottle repair would be greatly appreciated.

HELP!!!!

Well I have used Fix-A-Leak before and it did the job. Mine was just a minor leak so I'm not sure how big of a leak your talking about but fix-a-leak says it can do some pretty big jobs so who knows. I have not used any other type of leak stopping liquid so I cannot speak for the rest of them. Fix-a-Leak isn't very expensive and it's not going to hurt anything so why not give it a try? Here is a link to the company I purchase all my supplies from including Fix-a-Leak and the price is very affordable.

The Hot Tub Lady.com - Fix-A-Leak.

Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Yes, it works if used properly. I just used it on a large inground pool where there was a leak in the return jets due to a concrete deck mud jacking job gone bad. I plugged all the return jets except two at either ends of the pool and, using a 5 gallon bucket as a reservoir, I forced the fix-a-leak into the jet on the side opposite the leak and discharged from the jet closest to the leak back into the reservoir. I used a cheap pump from Home Depot that pulled from the reservoir and fed the jet on the opposite side of the pool with garden hoses.

Fix-a-leak works by plugging the leak as the heavy liquid that is suspended in the water seeps thru the opening. The key here is to force the heavy liquid thru the opening which would be a problem on the suction side of the pump. To fix a leak on the suction side you would have to reverse the flow and push water toward and thru the opening causing the leak which would be very difficult in many cases.

I have several customers who have used it, and two technicians who have used it for years. They all say the same thing: it works, but is not a permanent fix. At least not in their experience.

Could you get to the spa under the deck? Cutting into the siding with a circular saw sounds barbaric, but you can do it. Pull out a section on the sides you suspect, follow the wet foam, and you may be able to fix it. Again, that is: IF you can get to the sides below your deck.

Otherwise, could you get some strong backs and lift it straight up with straps? If so, slide a couple of four by sixes under the tub as it gets high enough, and you can then work on it in place -

None of this may work for you, but I have done it all for others with tubs in decks, and for a lot less than 4 large.

Picture maybe?

B)