Uv Systems

skimphish

Hello all, new to the forum and new to being a CPO. I am 22 years old and just got CPO certified and am the CPO/aquatics director for the Salvation Army here (yes, we have a pool). The last CPO was a complete idiot and did not keep the pool up to good standards, so I am hoping to change that.

Info: My pool is an indoor 191,000 gallon pool, has a 7hp pump, runs around 180gpm, 3 sand filters (2 750lbs filters and 1 375lbs filter), a Lite2 heater, the pool is 25ft x 75ft long and ranging from 3.5' to 9.5'. The chlorine is kept between 2 and 3ppm, pH is always between 7.4 and 7.6, Alkalinity at 90, and calcium hardness at 180-200.

I am looking at putting a UV system in now. The last CPO had recieved a grant for $15k to have one put in, but upon getting fired and taking my CPO class I told my boss that I would like to withold doing that until I got more information on it. After looking around some I found a Spectra Light system for my pool (model SL-600) for around $2400. My question is does anyone have any experience with Spectra Light systems? I am hoping to cut down on the chlorine levels in the pool (from the Spectra Light website they are saying you can run the chlorine at under 1ppm, I currently run it at 3ppm). Any information about UV systems would be amazing.

Thanks!

UV will not allow you to run lower FC levels since it has not residual action BUT it is useful in an indoor pool since it does help break down some of the disinfection byproducts that lower the air quality. Outdoor pools do not have this problem because they are already exposed to UV from the sun

So would a UV system even really be worth the $2500? We have 2 large fans that run fairly constantly to keep the air indoors fresh, and since Im in Florida we can run those pretty much year round and keep the pool area between 75 and 90 degrees, with the pool being around 82-84.

It's really going to depend on the bather load of the pool, but for typical commercial/public indoor pools the UV will help as waterbear indicated. You can always operate without it at first and see how things go, but there really is nothing like UV (either from sunlight in an outdoor pool or in a UV system for indoor pools) in helping break down more organics and keeping disinfection by-products at bay (especially chloramines). The UV in sunlight breaks down some chlorine and in doing so it produces hydroxyl radicals that are very powerful oxidizers. The UV also directly breaks down some of the chloramines (especially the medium/high pressure UV -- see this link for a comparison).

• 1 year later...

It makes very little sense to get a UV system for an outdoor residential pool because there is already UV in sunlight that breaks down chlorine into hydroxyl radicals and the bather-load is very low so chlorine alone is sufficient for handling that bather load and there aren't significant chloramines.