Hot Spring Custom Install In Deck

Hi, I have HS Vanguard tub that I've been using for a couple of months (love it). The time has come for me to build a small deck around it (always been part of the plan.) I got the tub setup for 'custom exterior' because the tub will end up being partially recessed. 2 sides will have deck to the height of the bar top. One side will have deck about 15" below that, and the front will have no deck and instead have a facade matching the redwood decking.

I have read through the custom install guide and the one thing I didn't really see anything about is how waterproof, or not, the 'custom exterior' of the tub is when there is no shell on it. The plywood look like it has been treated with something, but there are definitely panels so I could see in theory water going through the deck and blowing into the joints during a storm. The screws also seemed unlike 'exterior' grade screws I'm used to - but it could just be they are coated with something I don't use to.

Basically trying to find out if I need to put up some kind of waterproof barrier myself on the exterior before I put decking around it or if it is good to go as is. Kind of weird the custom install guide didn't mention it (or if I did I've missed it the last couple of times I've read through.)

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I got: http://www.hotspring.com/shop-hot-tub-models/highlife/vanguard/custom-cabinet which says the panels are treated with a sealant and have vertical supports that I can use to support any custom siding I want. Since I'm not really putting a siding on it and instead am putting sunk into a deck (with once face getting a custom facade) I wasn't real clear if I should do some additional water protection. I guess I could just wrap it with some heavy plastic and staple that inplace, since it would be under a deck it wouldn't get much in the way of water wind or sun. I wish they would specify a bit more what is expected for weather proofing when putting a tub into a deck like this.