Motor Cycles On/off On Low Speed Only?

jayfire

I have a 2000 Marquis spa. The original motor was making some loud clunking noises upon start up and blowing a fuse about once per month. I purchased a new GE Marathon motor to replace the Ultima/Ultra Jet and now upon start up in low speed, it just cycles on and off rapidly. High speed works fine. It is wired correctly, I switched wires and still does it only in low speed. I plugged it in without having it hooked up to the flow lines and it works like normal. Will come on low speed and work good with no flow, but hooked back up with flow, low speed cycles on and off, but high still works. The old motor has 2 different tags on it with 2 different model numbers. The Ultima tag said 11.9/3.3 amps 230 volt 2 speed, and the Ultra Jet by Vico said 11.9/3.9 130 volt 2 speed. I don't know which one it is. My new motor is a 3HP 10/2.9 amp 230 volt 2 speed. Could the lower amp on the new motor be my problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Its the day for strange ones... the amperage issue would not cause this.

If I understand correctly that not changing the wiring and just changing it from running under load (pumping water) to running not under load (free wheeling with no load) it is likely the centrifugal switch is the culprit, i think this is a case of a bad new part...

Thank you Spa GOD!! That is exactly what it is doing under load. I talked to the technical dept at Spa Depot and they are sending me a new motor and told me to keep the old (new) one for parts. Lets see how the new one works when it comes in. Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

I was just thinking it may be the voltage issue, i missed the part about one label saying 220v and one saying 110v.

I had one doing this the other day, the electrician had wired the GFI wrong, he had the neutral wired to line 1 hot and the line 1 hot wired to neutral and the line 2 hot wired to line 2 hot... the motor would just click on and off until the system went into LF