Chlorine Tabs

Yeller

First off great to be here..Phoenix area...kinda newbie and will take over my pool end of march..

the CYA is 100 and very low FC..Otherwise pool looks great (pebble-tec like)

I found some Sun Tabs and Shock, pretty expensive but may help slow down the stabilizers..

Should I use these instead of Trichlor..? can't see where liquid will last in this sun and heat

Thanks a bunch for everyone's help..

If you have sufficient stabilizer (CYA) in the pool it does not matter if the chlorine comes from liquid, cal hypo, lithium or gas. It will all last the same. If you are using either trichlor or dichlor then you will continue to add CYA and this could lead to overstabilization. If the Sun tabs and shock are the ones made by Chemtura under the Sun brand then the tabs and sticks ARE trichlor (which adds 6 ppm CYA for every 10 -ppm free chlorine added) and the granular and the Sun Shock and Clear are dichlor which is even worse since it adds 9 ppm CYA for every 10 ppm FC added! It will not slow down the buildup of stabilizer. The only way to do that is to use an unstabilized chlorine such as liquid, cal hypo (which adds 7 ppm Calcium Hardness for every 10 ppm FC added), or lithium hypochlorite, which is very expensive. Sunburn 35 shock is lithium hypochlorite and Sunburn Extra is Calcium hypochlorite (cal hypo), neither of which will add CYA to the water.

Correct they were in a red and orange/yellowish bucket..I was told that they are straight chlorine much like the liquid but being in tab form they would last longer..didnt look to see if they were Cal Hypo..funny cant find much information on the Sun brand on line..

Thanks..

If they are tabs and sun brand they are trichlor.End of story, The reaason you cannot find much info on them is that is the corporate stance of Chemtura and their brands (Bioguard, Sun, Omni, AquaChem, Pooltime,Guardex are the major ones in the US). They tend to create a 'mystery' around their products (such as using the chemical name 'sodium hydrogen carbonate' on the TA increaser instead of sodium bicarbonate so people will think it is something other than plain baking soda!) and keep the consumer in the dark about what is in them. This helps maximize their profit margin.

what waterbear is saying is that chlorine is chlorine is chlorine, aka bleach, non are longer lasting than others. Liquid adds salt, not really a major concern. Cal-hypo adds calcium, which could be desireable or undesireable depending on your calcium level and CSI. Tabs are adding CYA which in your case is undesireable, although I'm okay with 100 CYA but not much more. Your FC should be 5% of your CYA