Worth Fixing Or Start From Scratch?

sumrtyme

Hi, new to this forum but have been reading and gaining alot of information from everyone.

We have a Sweetwater Bahia purchased in 2003. It was doing fine up until 2 years ago, aside from a blown bulb and a blown heat element (or something that wouldn't allow the heat to raise) that had to be replaced. 2 Octobers ago I went to check on the chemicals and the water was freezing and we couldn't get any temps. I was getting several error codes. Well needless to say, we were broke at the time and couldn't afford the $150 piece again so we let it sit. We got lazy and eventually forgot about it. That following March, we decided to open it up and change the water and deal w/the fix. Well, there was half the water and when we filled it, we heard water pouring between the shell and the walls. Idiots, I know! Assumed PVC piping had cracked due to freezing, thawing, etc. I was beyond frustrated and well now, sits an empty hot tub in my back yard. We're in the Boston area and originally purchased it from New England Spas. They told me it will be at least $150 just to come out and look at it. Nevermind the price to fix any issues. The family would love to get back into the world of hot tubbing. I'm wondering if all these issues would be worth the fix or should we just dump this one and start from scratch? Can we get any deal to trade ours in for parts, even if it's nominal? Does anyone know anything about New England Spas, are they decent to deal with or is there a better dealer we should use? Also, my brother is a plumber and works with PVC all the time. Can he do the work instead of calling out someone who just deals with hot tubs and will probably charge me a small fortune?

Thanks for any advice!

As a tub servicer in SE Mass and someone that does a fair amount of subcontract work for NE Spas, I suspect you will find very major freeze damage unless you get very, very lucky. I don't have to remind you that the winter of 2010-2011 was brutally cold around here. We had a six week period from January to February of 2011 that was unforgiving temperature-wise. I saw freeze damage the likes of which I've rarely seen in my 28 years in the business. Feel free to open your panels, fill the tub and check for leaks, but don't be surprised if you have a LOT of leak points.

John