Water Not Circulating - Only Circulates 5 Minutes After Backwash

castlemonk

Hello Experts.

I need advice real quick - my pool is getting so filthy.

When the pump starts, it circulates for about a minutes good but it slows a lot but the pump is running and there is water filled in the fill basket. So, I back washed it for a minutes, and turn the pump back on in a normal mode, it pumps and water circulates for a minute. After about ten minutes of backwash, water circulates real nicely in the normal mode for about 5 minutes. I cannot figure out what's going on. I've cleaned the DE filters, cleaned the skimmer basket and the fill basket in front of the pump and nothing seems to be working.

One more thing, when the pump is running in a normal mode (not in backwash), the pressure on the DE filter chamber seems to be higher than the red threshold needle...

Please help.

thanks.

Two things may be occuring that jump out. One is that your grids may have stretched. Now the insides can meet each other and that is not good. The DE filters the water but if there is no space on the inside, filtered water can't get get through. Second, when was the last time the filter was torn down? The grids could be caked up with dead DE. DE doesn't fully backwash out and leave some in. Then recharging with a full charge will actually overload the needed volume of DE. It builds up and causes issue #1. The bottom line is you will need to shut it off, drain the tank, pull the lid, wash the grids some, let it dry, pull out the grid assembly, take it apart, wash it, put it back together and rassemble the filter. Then, a normal full charge will be used. This is an annual event. If the grids are too close that water can't pass, replace the grids.

Scott

Scott

I'm perplexed. You've said you cleaned your grids. And you've said your filter pressure is higher than normal. Oils is about the only thing I can come up with. Disassemble your grids again and soak them over night with a box of the cheapest dishwashing powder you can find and full trash can of water. Do you have a scum line in the pool? Black ring inside the skimmer? Pool perfect has enzymes which will do almost the same thing, but follow the directions. Enzymes are sensitive to temperature and chlorine levels.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot both of you. Sorry I didn't get back earlier. You both were right. I had some clogs at the bottom of my filter under the grid assembly. When I took it apart, I realized that there were some residual stuff built up. Also, black ring inside skimmer. So, I also over-shocked and over-chlorinated the pool. The filter is working as normal now and the pool is crystal clear. THANK YOU...

One more advice, if I can solicit. My automatic pool vacuum (I have kreepy krauly) is not moving a whole lot. I just replaced the hoses. Are hoses too light and the suction assembly is not heavy enough to stay at the bottom of the pool? Or, is it time to get a new suction assembly. Any advice would be great...

The hoses are fine. There should also be three donut shaped weights, at 8', at 15' and 25' feet (distances are approximate) from the vac head.

It sounds like an insufficent amout of water is being pulled through the KK. Set your valves accordingly.

Scott