Special Temperature Settings

ChaiSTi

I'm looking for a control system that will allow the user to set the temperature up to 41*C (106*F)

There is a section in the UL 1563 that states:

35 Temperature-Regulating Controls

35.1 General

35.1.1 A unit provided with an integral heater or provision for a heater shall also be provided with an

adjustable water temperature-regulating control.

35.2 User controls – standard settings

35.2.1 The water temperature-regulating control shall have marked temperature settings with no marked

water-temperature settings higher than 40°C (104°F).

35.2.2 A unit shall not permit settings that correspond to operating temperature values higher than 40°C

(104°F).

Exception: Units that comply with the special temperature settings requirements in 35.3.1 – 35.3.4.

35.2.3 Water temperature-regulating controls shall be factory adjusted to a temperature setting

corresponding to an operating temperature value of no more than 38°C (100°F).

35.3 User controls – special temperature settings

35.3.1 In accordance with the Exception to 35.2.2 units are not prohibited from having special

temperature settings to allow higher operating temperature values for thermal loss compensation.

35.3.2 The maximum special temperature setting shall correspond to an operating temperature value of

no more than 41°C (106°F) and shall only be obtained through a special user input. The user actuation

mechanism shall be such that it is highly unlikely these settings could be accidentally accessed.

35.3.3 The operating temperature value of the water temperature-regulating control shall reset to 40°C

(104°F) if the user reduces the setting to one corresponding to 40°C or less.

35.3.4 There shall be a visible indication when a unit’s special temperature setting feature has been

activated.

This was published in 2009. Can someone recommend me a controller that will be in compliance with 35.3?

I'm looking for a control system that will allow the user to set the temperature up to 41*C (106*F)

There is a section in the UL 1563 that states:

35 Temperature-Regulating Controls

35.1 General

35.1.1 A unit provided with an integral heater or provision for a heater shall also be provided with an

adjustable water temperature-regulating control.

35.2 User controls – standard settings

35.2.1 The water temperature-regulating control shall have marked temperature settings with no marked

water-temperature settings higher than 40°C (104°F).

35.2.2 A unit shall not permit settings that correspond to operating temperature values higher than 40°C

(104°F).

Exception: Units that comply with the special temperature settings requirements in 35.3.1 – 35.3.4.

35.2.3 Water temperature-regulating controls shall be factory adjusted to a temperature setting

corresponding to an operating temperature value of no more than 38°C (100°F).

35.3 User controls – special temperature settings

35.3.1 In accordance with the Exception to 35.2.2 units are not prohibited from having special

temperature settings to allow higher operating temperature values for thermal loss compensation.

35.3.2 The maximum special temperature setting shall correspond to an operating temperature value of

no more than 41°C (106°F) and shall only be obtained through a special user input. The user actuation

mechanism shall be such that it is highly unlikely these settings could be accidentally accessed.

35.3.3 The operating temperature value of the water temperature-regulating control shall reset to 40°C

(104°F) if the user reduces the setting to one corresponding to 40°C or less.

35.3.4 There shall be a visible indication when a unit’s special temperature setting feature has been

activated.

This was published in 2009. Can someone recommend me a controller that will be in compliance with 35.3?

There are some controllers that can be set higher than 104F. Once you get to 104 max temp setting, press and hold the up arrow for 3 to 5 seconds and the temp setting will go to 105F. Press and hold for 3 to 5 seconds and temp setting will go to 106 etc. You can get it all the way up to 108F. The temp setting will flash when you press any of the buttons indicating it set higher than the max 104F temp. This is on a 2010 gecko controller. Not sure if this is on all gecko controllers, but it is on mine. I found this by just playing around with it. I am sure that there are other controllers that can be manipulated also. I like my hot tub to be at 105 and 106 when it is real cold in the winter. 104 just does not cut it for me.

There are some controllers that can be set higher than 104F. Once you get to 104 max temp setting, press and hold the up arrow for 3 to 5 seconds and the temp setting will go to 105F. Press and hold for 3 to 5 seconds and temp setting will go to 106 etc. You can get it all the way up to 108F. The temp setting will flash when you press any of the buttons indicating it set higher than the max 104F temp. This is on a 2010 gecko controller. Not sure if this is on all gecko controllers, but it is on mine. I found this by just playing around with it. I am sure that there are other controllers that can be manipulated also. I like my hot tub to be at 105 and 106 when it is real cold in the winter. 104 just does not cut it for me.

That's interesting. I have some experience with Gecko controllers but never came across this feature before. Can you tell what model control pack you have? Is it one of their generic packs or is it specially programed for a spa manufacturer?

Thanks.

You can move a jumper on limelite and Hot Spot spas to access higher temp's as well. You can move a jumper on Hot Springs until 2009 to acces higher temps, I'm not sure the method for access in 2009 to current, no one has asked until now.

I wonder if the new Hot Springs controller still have any special settings or if they completely removed it.

• 2 weeks later...

With my Caldera spa, which is made by Watkins just like Hot Springs.

If I push the temperature up button, after 104F, it has two additional OT(Over Temperature) settings. The second OT is 106 degrees.

Dave