Leaving For 2 Weeks

Boonzer

:(

I have a brand new Arctic frontier....

I'm going to have to leave it for 2 weeks in April.... what do I do.

Since I'm new at this, I have to admit I'm a little terrified.

I'm afraid of creating 2" of green goo, who will in turn drink the beer out of my fridge and trash my place when I'm gone. :blink:

Assuming that your neighborhood isn't prone to power outages...turn down the temp 'cuz there's no sense in keeping it at soaking temp while you're gone and turn it back up when you get home. I've got a Frontier, too, and it's been humming along just fine ever since I got it 14 months ago. I'm headed off to warmer climes B) , myself, in a coupla weeks and I'm not concerned at all. When I return, I'll shock it, turn up the temp and hop in it the following day and dream about the turquoise blue water I was snorkeling in just a few days prior.

If you are going for a long time, you need to have someone come and check it. If the spa stops for anyreason it can freeze under extended down time. Two weeks in April in the US is one thing, but if you are up where it is cold longer, then get someone to watch it.

If you do a good clean up shock and adjust the pH and Total Alk you sould be fine. If you are using bromine be sure to set the feeder almost off, because when you return the bromine will be sky high.

I never recommend turning down the temp, but I do recommend longer filter cycles in cold places to lower the energy costs, up to 24 hours a day, doesn't hurt as long as the spa water is not gaining in heat more than a couple of degrees. The heat from the filter pump creates a thermal warm air barrier that stops heat losses and stops the use of the electric heater as much as is possible.

http://www.soundclick.com/havehead

:(

I have a brand new Arctic frontier....

I'm going to have to leave it for 2 weeks in April.... what do I do.

Since I'm new at this, I have to admit I'm a little terrified.

I'm afraid of creating 2" of green goo, who will in turn drink the beer out of my fridge and trash my place when I'm gone. :blink:

I just left my tub for 9 days and didn't have any problems. The manual said to set the temp at the lowest setting (80F in my case and to superchlorinate it before leaving which I did. I also set it on 'sleep' mode where it only turns on the heater when the temp drops by 20F. Then I left. When I got back, I found the temp at 64F and everything running fine. There was even still a small chlorine residual in the water. I turned the temp back up and put it on 'economy' mode and added chemicals. In a few hours we were soaking our cold, tired bones. Hot tubs are great! So...leave it and have fun.

• 4 weeks later...

Some say to crank the dispenser with Bromine before I leave...some say to close it off before I leave...some say shock now, some say shock when I get back..... some say temp down, some say leave it.... dealer said I may have to drain it when I come back? The water has only been in for a week and a half ? :blink: arrrrgh!

I need to know....I'm going tomorrow, and it will be like leaving a kid behind for the first time.

Some say to crank the dispenser with Bromine before I leave...some say to close it off before I leave...some say shock now, some say shock when I get back..... some say temp down, some say leave it.... dealer said I may have to drain it when I come back? The water has only been in for a week and a half ? :blink: arrrrgh!

I need to know....I'm going tomorrow, and it will be like leaving a kid behind for the first time.

Boonzer,

1) balance the water. Ph, Alk, Ca. all the good stuff.

2) leave enough and them some of bromine in your dispenser. maybe bump up the levels a bit.

3) Don't leave the tub at max temp setting, but I wouldn't set it below say 97 or so. You could set it lower to save a FEW pennies, but if worst case scenario happens, and you loose power, you will want your water pretty warm.

4) Go away. let the filter cycles and do thier job. lock the cover. If you leave clean water, and nothing is introduced to it, and there is plenty of sanitizier (bromine) in the water, you'll be fine. An ozinator will also help (if you have one).

5) I doubt you will have green goo in your water when you come back. But when you come back, check you levels, re-balance and maybe shock. You'll be fine.

Boonzer,

3) Don't leave the tub at max temp setting, but I wouldn't set it below say 97 or so. You could set it lower to save a FEW pennies, but if worst case scenario happens, and you loose power, you will want your water pretty warm.

The chlorine will last several times longer when the water is cold inst ead of hot. I agree, though, that if you are concerned about freezing temperatures during a power failure while you are gone, it's better to leave the tub at a higher temp.