Plaster Has A Slight Grayish Appearance.

davem

Inground gunite pool with a salt system installed about 6 weeks now. This is my first pool so I am new to all this stuff. Went through the start up procedures with my builder and now I am on my own.

I assumed the plaster would be a bright white color but I initially noticed a very slight grayish color to it. It was very subtle at first but now I am noticing it more and more. I am very *** and I notice the slightest imperfections. You can barely see it when the sun is out. Water is very clear. PH is high but as expected while the plaster cures so I've been told. I had my water tested at the local pool supply and everything is good except the PH.

The pool supply technician says the plaster appears gray because the PH is very high so it pulls in water. They say if I get the PH to a normal level this should minimize after a while. Does this sound correct? It doesn't look that bad but I just want the plaster to appear as clean as possible.

Most plaster pools will have some molting which will appear as a slight grayish color. It is difficult to tell how bad it is from your description. I have never heard of PH affecting the color.

Thanks for the information. Initially the plaster was a white color with some small gray spots in it. Now it seems more gray with small white spots. It almost looks like dirt in the plaster. I think that's the best way I can describe it. Its hardly noticeable at this point and more so when its cloudy outside or very little sunshine. Guess its just something I'll have to deal with. Thanks again.

Inground gunite pool with a salt system installed about 6 weeks now. This is my first pool so I am new to all this stuff. Went through the start up procedures with my builder and now I am on my own.

I assumed the plaster would be a bright white color but I initially noticed a very slight grayish color to it. It was very subtle at first but now I am noticing it more and more. I am very *** and I notice the slightest imperfections. You can barely see it when the sun is out. Water is very clear. PH is high but as expected while the plaster cures so I've been told. I had my water tested at the local pool supply and everything is good except the PH.

The pool supply technician says the plaster appears gray because the PH is very high so it pulls in water. They say if I get the PH to a normal level this should minimize after a while. Does this sound correct? It doesn't look that bad but I just want the plaster to appear as clean as possible.

Hello Im not totally sure but will you look into the copper content of your pool chemistry .......

• 3 weeks later...

you don't really get mottling with a white pool. at least not that you would see. that's mostly with gray or other darker colors.

balance the ph and see what happens.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name=

' date='Oct 6 2005, 02:40 PM' post='1677]

Thanks for the information. Initially the plaster was a white color with some small gray spots in it. Now it seems more gray with small white spots. It almost looks like dirt in the plaster. I think that's the best way I can describe it. Its hardly noticeable at this point and more so when its cloudy outside or very little sunshine. Guess its just something I'll have to deal with. Thanks again.

Yes. Plaster should be white with little to no greying while curing out. BUT your little white spot are what we call SPOT ETCHING. Spot etching is cause by a high ph level in the pool water as it cures out. curing time for pool plaster is 27 days. So be sure to keep the ph level right on at all times. very Inportant!!!

B.M.

swimming-pool-secrets-revealed.com

First of all, spot etching wouldn't show up that fast. Second, the cause of the spot etching phenomenon has yet to be established by science, although aggressive water does cause plaster deterioration. Aggressive water is acidic which means that the pH is low, not high (basic). According to the National Plasterers Council, the proper way to start up a freshly plastered pool is to keep the pH and alkalinity on the low side of the saturation index for about the first 2 weeks (7.1 to 7.2 is certainly acceptable) which reduces scale and keeps it brushable until the plaster hydrates which normally takes 28 days. I tried to check out the web-site at the end of your post to see if you spelled any better there but I couldn't find it.

• 4 weeks later...