Thanks For The Welcome

Boonzer

Thanks one and all for the welcomes.... a good bunch, is the feeling I get from reading the posts.

So..... what am I in for, chemical balance-wise? How often? how much a week? will the arctic ozone really help?

Also where can I find a nice chemical kit like I used to use in pools many moons ago? You know, add the drips and you read the colour change. Strips seems like it would be a bit of a waste over time.

Also where can I find a nice chemical kit like I used to use in pools many moons ago? You know, add the drips and you read the colour change. Strips seems like it would be a bit of a waste over time.

If you are going to use chlorine then I would recommend a Taylor K-2006 test kit and for bromine a K-2106. Both these kits use the FAS-DPD test for chlorine or bromine, which is the most accurate test out there (down to .2 ppm for chlorine or .5 ppm for bromine) and can read up to around 50 ppm since it is a titration test (similar to the tests for total alkalinity and calcium hardness); and is the easiest one to read, with a color change from pink to colorless so the titration endpont is distinct! The kits and replacement reagents are available from many dealers, online retailers and directly from Taylor Technolgies! There are other good kits out there but, IMHO, non come close to the Taylor kits for price, accuracy, and ease of use. They are not the cheapest kits out there (the K-2006 is around $60) but when you consider how many thousands your spa cost you it really isn't a lot of money to spend on what is probably the MOST important tool you need to keep your water in good condition!

I just bought the k=1004 on ebay for 17$... any ideas on this test kit?

This kit has the DPD test for free and total chlorine (same as the K-2005), not the FAS-DPD test in the K-2006. It has the same total alkalinity test as the K-2005 but uses the R-0014 pH indicator and only has an acid demand test (no base demand) and the small comparator tube instead of the R-0004 pH indicator and large comparator tube found with both acid and base demand as in the K-2005 and K-2006. It does not have tests for stabilizer (cyanuric acid) or calcium hardness but these can be added as separate modules making the kit the same functionally as the K-2005. It has a list price of $18.75 on the Taylor website