Approaches To Minimize On-Peak Power Usage In Spa

endorfin

I have recently switched to a new billing method for electricity. It is a consumer trial for "smart grid" by NSTAR. Essentially i get about a 40% discount on electricity used during off-peak and a 20% surcharge for peak usage (i.e. my peak rate is double my off peak rate). The idea is to get consumers to be more aware when they are using electricity and "reward" them for changing usage behavior where reasonable. This service includes tools to monitor daily / weekly / monthly usage (zigbee based). Peak in our area for Sept - April is 4 p.m. - 9 p.m., then switches to the afternoons in the hot summer months when AC demand is the highest.

We tend to keep our hot tub set to 100 degrees and it gets used 3-5 times per week (it is outside). I think it usually heats up to 104 in about an hour - 400 gals. The controller is from Balboa and has three modes - standard, econ and sleep. In Standard, it samples water temp once an hour and heats if necessary. Econ samples water temp and heats only during filtration cycle. Filtration runs every 12 hours based on last system reset and can run something like 2, 4, 6 or continuous. I don't have a continuous filtration pump and use the 2 setting - so it runs twice a day for 2 hours. I have been satisfied with this setting as far as water quality.

So I have different possible approaches to managing power usage of the spa if i want to keep peak usage to a minimum, while also not taking away from mostly spontaneous usage:

• Of course the most obvious is to not use the spa during peak hours which we are generally ok with except for special circumstances. This approach would not move temperature maintenance to off peak, but would avoid usage based load during peak periods.
  • The next approach is to simply set the mode to Econ and reset timing so it will run at 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. which will heat the spa for 2 hours during those times. I think Econ is not generally recommended for winter months in cold climates, but i think this ignores a variable cost for electricity. Econ will run filtration and heat for 2 hours twice per day (unless it is being used / manual override).
  • The third option would be some type of timer, either a Balboa provided, electronic timer or an external 220v timer box like I already use for our household electric hot water heater (I am comfortable with doing the electric work myself so don't really have electrician expense). My concern with the first is cost and my concern with the second is that this would subject the spa to a daily power spike when the power is toggled off / on. The second approach would also start up each time using the default settings (which may be ok). But it seems like asking for trouble with the power cycling of the circuit board and long term reliability.

Anyone have suggestions and experiences in this type of peak / off peak environment? Are there reasonably priced options for the Balboa controller that make sense?

Thanks.

I have recently switched to a new billing method for electricity. It is a consumer trial for "smart grid" by NSTAR. Essentially i get about a 40% discount on electricity used during off-peak and a 20% surcharge for peak usage (i.e. my peak rate is double my off peak rate). The idea is to get consumers to be more aware when they are using electricity and "reward" them for changing usage behavior where reasonable. This service includes tools to monitor daily / weekly / monthly usage (zigbee based). Peak in our area for Sept - April is 4 p.m. - 9 p.m., then switches to the afternoons in the hot summer months when AC demand is the highest.

We tend to keep our hot tub set to 100 degrees and it gets used 3-5 times per week (it is outside). I think it usually heats up to 104 in about an hour - 400 gals. The controller is from Balboa and has three modes - standard, econ and sleep. In Standard, it samples water temp once an hour and heats if necessary. Econ samples water temp and heats only during filtration cycle. Filtration runs every 12 hours based on last system reset and can run something like 2, 4, 6 or continuous. I don't have a continuous filtration pump and use the 2 setting - so it runs twice a day for 2 hours. I have been satisfied with this setting as far as water quality.

So I have different possible approaches to managing power usage of the spa if i want to keep peak usage to a minimum, while also not taking away from mostly spontaneous usage:

• Of course the most obvious is to not use the spa during peak hours which we are generally ok with except for special circumstances. This approach would not move temperature maintenance to off peak, but would avoid usage based load during peak periods.
  • The next approach is to simply set the mode to Econ and reset timing so it will run at 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. which will heat the spa for 2 hours during those times. I think Econ is not generally recommended for winter months in cold climates, but i think this ignores a variable cost for electricity. Econ will run filtration and heat for 2 hours twice per day (unless it is being used / manual override).
  • The third option would be some type of timer, either a Balboa provided, electronic timer or an external 220v timer box like I already use for our household electric hot water heater (I am comfortable with doing the electric work myself so don't really have electrician expense). My concern with the first is cost and my concern with the second is that this would subject the spa to a daily power spike when the power is toggled off / on. The second approach would also start up each time using the default settings (which may be ok). But it seems like asking for trouble with the power cycling of the circuit board and long term reliability.

Anyone have suggestions and experiences in this type of peak / off peak environment? Are there reasonably priced options for the Balboa controller that make sense?

Thanks.

Well I am not completely familiar with your exact setup, so naturally example one would be the easiest, but that obviously wont be always feasible for you. But, that should work most of the time at least. I wouldn't recommend your example two as two hours of filtration a day inst very much, especially if you are using the spa very much at all. For your example three, I have no idea how you would do that. You might check with your dealer to see if that is even possible with the timer.

I don't mean to hijack your thread, but that is one thing that I like about the new Ecopaks with Arctic Spas and their new power management systems. You can tell the spa exactly when you want it to filter and heat based on your peak rates. It is a really cool new feature. I know it doesn't help you, but your question reminded me of this new feature that might be able to help out others like you in the future. Here is some more info on it for those that care to know more:

Power Management System

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks.

Seems to me I have the same control option like you. I recently switched to the ECON mode and see a drop in daily electricity use already, have to see my next bill what it will total to. My temp drop between filter cycle is 2 degrees and it is set to 100 as well. No matter day or night. Now I live in So Cal but the nights are close to or at freezing at the moment. Wish I would have the on/off peak hour option from the electricity provider as well, this would make it even a better option.