2 ?s About: Shocking A Bromine Spa And Yellow Shock And Clear - Does It Contain Sodium Bromide

jlazarus

1.) Question about shocking with a bromine spa. I understand that shocking (I use bleach) will "re-activate" bromide to bromine. I am trying to understand how to maintain my bromine levels in proper range. We have a pretty high bather load, so I've been adding a tablespoon after long soaks and also shocking once a week with several ounces of chlorine as well....so, my problem is my bromine levels are actually pretty high! To help that, I sometimes open the top and run in the sunshine for a little while to bring it back down, but as soon as I add bleach, it skyrockets again. We were using a floater, but I removed that because it seems that I have enough bromine (even if I leave open in sun enough to get down to almost nill, all I have to do is add a little bleach and there goes the bromine levels again. (We do have an ozonator as well - although I have no idea how one would test to ensure it's working, but my guess is it is since I don't seem to be having issues with low bromine, lol)

So, I think possibly I do NOT need to be adding bleach after each soak? Maybe just once a week? Or, since I have an ozonator, should I just put the floater back in and forget shocking with bleach at all? Little confused on this one....

2.) Also, I have a friend that just bought a tub and was telling them about the 3 step system. Our local dealer does not carry sodium bromide but they do carry "Yellow Shock and Clear" as an algae treatment. I told her to check ingredients because it may indeed BE sodium bromide (or not) - problem is, they sell it in small packets and no ingredients are listed. I'm trying to google it but not coming up with anything that actually *lists* the ingredients. Next step is to call manufacturer I guess, but thought perhaps one of the experts here might have experience with the product and would know the ingredients. Thanks!!!!

Woohoo! Yay for google - found this: http://www.aldenleeds.com/html/pdfs/yelloshock.pdf - from the manufacturer (Alden Leeds) - and it says the product is NaBr (Sodium Bromide, right?)

It doesn't say it contains anything else - but can she trust that? Hmmm.....

ETA: So I emailed the manufacturer and asked if this product contained anything else and the response was: "YES it is sodium bromide with a trace of anti-caking agent (neutral inert salt) No other additives."

So, am I correct in assumption that the "anti caking agent (neutral insert salt) is ok and she can use this to create a bromine bank?

1.) Question about shocking with a bromine spa. I understand that shocking (I use bleach) will "re-activate" bromide to bromine. I am trying to understand how to maintain my bromine levels in proper range. We have a pretty high bather load, so I've been adding a tablespoon after long soaks

Unnecessary to add bleach after soaking if you have the floater in there and have it adjusted. Bromine should return to proper level by the next day.

and also shocking once a week with several ounces of chlorine as well....so, my problem is my bromine levels are actually pretty high! To help that, I sometimes open the top and run in the sunshine for a little while to bring it back down, but as soon as I add bleach, it skyrockets again. We were using a floater, but I removed that because it seems that I have enough bromine (even if I leave open in sun enough to get down to almost nill, all I have to do is add a little bleach and there goes the bromine levels again. (We do have an ozonator as well - although I have no idea how one would test to ensure it's working, but my guess is it is since I don't seem to be having issues with low bromine, lol)

So, I think possibly I do NOT need to be adding bleach after each soak? Maybe just once a week? Or, since I have an ozonator, should I just put the floater back in and forget shocking with bleach at all? Little confused on this one....

You do not need to add bleach after each soak. The purpose of the floater is to bring the bromine levels back up. Also your ozonator is constantly raising your bromine levels by converting bromide into bromine so you probably only need to shock every two weeks. the floater might need to to be turned almost all the way down.

2.) Also, I have a friend that just bought a tub and was telling them about the 3 step system. Our local dealer does not carry sodium bromide but they do carry "Yellow Shock and Clear" as a algae treatment. I told her to check ingredients because it may indeed BE sodium bromide (or not) - problem is, they sell it in small packets and no ingredients are listed. I'm trying to google it but not coming up with anything that actually *lists* the ingredients. Next step is to call manufacturer I guess, but thought perhaps one of the experts here might have experience with the product and would know the ingredients. Thanks!!!!

Read the ingredients on the packet. It should tell you the percentage of sodium bromide. However, most of these products (which have instructions that tell you to add the produce and then add shock) are 99%-100% sodium bromide.

What is your bromine level (ppm) before a soak?

What is it after (before adding bleach)?

Are you testing with a proper test kit (not strips)? While figuring out the ideal amounts of chemicals is a bit of trial and error that is unique to your level of tub usage and may take a few days or a week to hammer down, it will be impossible to do without a proper test kit.

You need to get this dialed in (including determining the right setting for the floater, and start using it), or you're going to be constantly chasing it or overdosing it, to the point where your head pops off from the stress.

Read the ingredients on the packet. It should tell you the percentage of sodium bromide. However, most of these products (which have instructions that tell you to add the produce and then add shock) are 99%-100% sodium bromide.

(Thanks for the info re: adding bleach. I'll stop doing that after each soak!! ;-) )

Packet did not list ingredients (small packs) - but I emailed manufacturer and found a product description on website that said NaBr - when I emailed and asked if anything else was in the product besides sodium bromide the response was: "a trace of anti-caking agent (neutral inert salt) No other additives." - So sounds like it would be fine to use?

What is your bromine level (ppm) before a soak?

What is it after (before adding bleach)?

Are you testing with a proper test kit (not strips)? While figuring out the ideal amounts of chemicals is a bit of trial and error that is unique to your level of tub usage and may take a few days or a week to hammer down, it will be impossible to do without a proper test kit.

You need to get this dialed in (including determining the right setting for the floater, and start using it), or you're going to be constantly chasing it or overdosing it, to the point where your head pops off from the stress.

Lol...duh, I'm silly. Been testing it BEFORE soaks, but not after - just adding bleach after 'cause I read it on here somewhere to do that ;-) Obviously didn't read enough! I do have a good test kit - Bromine levels before soak are usually between 4-6 ppm, but sometimes pushing 10 (that's when I open it up and let it run in sunlight to get it down to 4-6 before letting anyone get in) - but then I've been adding bleach after, so that's why sometimes it bounces up so much. I will quit doing that!!!! Thanks, y'all!

Packet did not list ingredients (small packs) - but I emailed manufacturer and found a product description on website that said NaBr - when I emailed and asked if anything else was in the product besides sodium bromide the response was: "a trace of anti-caking agent (neutral inert salt) No other additives." - So sounds like it would be fine to use?

should be

Lol...duh, I'm silly. Been testing it BEFORE soaks, but not after - just adding bleach after 'cause I read it on here somewhere to do that ;-) Obviously didn't read enough!

Adding chlorine after a soak is for chlorine tubs. For bromine tubs the floater takes care of adding additional sanitizer.

comparing chlorine tub maintenance to bromine tub maintenance is like comparing apples and oranges. Different care protocols needed!