Spa Review

walleye

OK, now that I have had my tub a couple months, I can give my thoughts and see if they are similar to other owners.

1. I use my tub nightly, unless away or weather prohibits. (Lightning only) I get in my tub in all weather conditions except lightning.

2. They they say my tub is a 5-6 person tub, this is false. It is 3-4 people, and 4 being two couples. You could put 5-6 but not comfortably.

3. I have a lounger, which I love. It is usually just me or my wife and I so the room is not a problem. The lounger is my favorite spot.

4. Water chemistry has been a breeze. Mostly thanks to help here, but I have had no trouble at all. Crystal clear all the time.

5. I bought a Taylor kit for Bromine and check way more often than I need to, just because I enjoy it. Way better than test strips.

6. I usually heat to 104-106 before I enter the tub. It holds the temp no problem, even in below freezing temps. I set the temp to 99 once I exit.

7. The next day, 10-12 hours later, if the temp was at 104 when I exited, and I set the temp at 99, it is still at 100-101 the next morning.

8. I keep my bromine level at 3-5 ppm and shock about every 10 days with 4-6 ounces of Bleach. I was doing this weekly, but learned I did not need to.

9. Since my AC does not run all the time now, my electric bills have went down, not sure what this costs to operate, but it is minimal for sure.

10. I use mostly Borax, Clorox and Baking Soda to maintain so the cost is also very little. Also a Bromine tab 1 or two times weekly depending on use.

11. I can't hear it run at all. It is right outside my bedroom door.

12. My back definitely feels better in the mornings, this alone has made the purchase worth it. Plus I love sitting out there under the stars.

13. Even in bad weather, I would never want a tub indoors. This is just a personal opinion and no wrong answer. I am under a nice overhang on my deck.

14. I have had zero regrets and am just as glad I bought the tub as I was the first day. Love sitting in the open under the stars!

HI Wallyeye,

Thanks for you inital impressions... Can you remind us what tub you have? Also where are you located? (you mentioned you've already have below freezing temps).

Question: Why turn down the temp of the tub? It's my understanding that there really isn't any significant cost savings in doing so.

HI Wallyeye,

Thanks for you inital impressions... Can you remind us what tub you have? Also where are you located? (you mentioned you've already have below freezing temps).

Question: Why turn down the temp of the tub? It's my understanding that there really isn't any significant cost savings in doing so.

I have the Altamar by Sundance. I live in the Midwest, highs of 50's and lows of 20's lately. Not as cold as the Northern states, but still below freezing at night. Current temp at 10:30 AM is 32. I guess I was not aware that leaving the temps high cost the same. I was thinking much like a house, cheaper to maintain lower temps when you are away. I could be wrong and would love to hear from anyone who knows for sure. I would sure like to drop right in without the 30 minute wait. No regrets on the tub, that is for sure.

HI Wallyeye,

I have the Altamar by Sundance. I live in the Midwest, highs of 50's and lows of 20's lately. Not as cold as the Northern states, but still below freezing at night. Current temp at 10:30 AM is 32. I guess I was not aware that leaving the temps high cost the same. I was thinking much like a house, cheaper to maintain lower temps when you are away. I could be wrong and would love to hear from anyone who knows for sure. I would sure like to drop right in without the 30 minute wait. No regrets on the tub, that is for sure.

Wally i've seen this debated many times over the years, and it's pretty much accepted that with a quality unit - such as a Sundance,- you should keep the thermostat/heater at the desired temperature. Your unit is designed for cold weather use, and if everything is working correctly (Cover in good shape, heater and thermostat operating correctly and the integrity of the tubs insulation is intack) don't bother turning it down.

Given the fact that your using it every day, it probably doesn't even loose that much heat.

The only time you should be turning down the temps is when you don't plan on usin the tub for an extended time (2 weeks or more) and there is no chance of loosing power in freezing conditions.