Ozonator Mis-Behaviour

Gouie

Good day everyone. We're blessed with a beautiful day so I figured I'd try to get to the bottom of my ozonator issues. Issue being no bubbles. I've torn into the tub and from what I can tell all is fine with the plumbing and hoses. I opened up the ozonator and found a large amount of chalky white power compressed into chunks flopping around. That has all been removed but I'm unsure of something. The tube inside the unit, presumably the tube that generates the ozone, is not connected at one end, the end in which the nipple joining to the output tube is located. Is this normal? My thought is the tube should be connected to the output in some way. I disconnected the output tube at the check valve and ran the pumps. I do not feel anything coming out of the tube. For that matter, I can't hear anything from the ozonator at all. Should it not run whenever the pump is running? Looks to me like the unit is shot but I thought I'd try to educate myself on how they should function before buying a new one. By the way it is a Prozone unit.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry everyone, I updated the status of this problem in another thread for some reason. I hate leaving a thread unresolved. The problem was with the pump. The pump quite on me the other day forcing a replacement. A new pump and the ozonator is working. I suspect the motor was on it's way out and not producing enough suction to pull the magic bubbles out.

I'm glad you got your problem figured out and resolved. Dr. Spa got it right in this thread when he implied that the problem could be with the pump not creating enough suction.

Just out of curiousity, I presume, regardless of whether the ozonator is functioning or not, air will be pulled through the venturi into the tub. This would mean the presence of bubbles is not enough to confirm your ozonator is working properly. Is there a way of testing/confirming functionality?

As for testing whether ozone is being produced or not, smell is one way to tell since you should smell a faint electrical ozone smell from the bubbles entering the spa if it is working. The other way to tell is to see the change in chlorine demand in a spa that is not used frequently and see if having the ozone turned on vs. off changes the chlorine demand. A functioning ozonator usually increases "no bather load" chlorine demand by a factor of 2 or more in a residential spa so with an accurate test kit such as the Taylor K-2006 one can test chlorine level changes to within 0.2 ppm using a 25 ml sample size.

Also, see this post from Dr. Spa on another forum about an ozone test kit.