New Guy Looking To Buy Off Craigslist

tryingmybest

Hello everyone,

I am very new to hot tubs and was thinking about purchasing this hot tub from craigslist. Are these decent units? Are parts available? Does this price seem right?

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/hab/2695190448.html

Thank you very much in advance for your response.

IMHO, don't waste your money.

Thank you. Is there any good brands of spas out there to keep an eye out for?

Hello everyone,

I am very new to hot tubs and was thinking about purchasing this hot tub from craigslist. Are these decent units? Are parts available? Does this price seem right?

IMHO, don't waste your money.

Thank you. Is there any good brands of spas out there to keep an eye out for?

If your handy, and have some patience you can lucky like I did and get a free one. Keep in mind that it may require some work and a little investment. I got a free one from craigslist. Between the new controller and rebuilding the skirting I spent around $800 but the shell was in great shape and the pumps and blowers work great. Again all depends on how handy and how much work you can put in it your self.

Read my blog on my free hot tub.

OP1

If you are going to spend $1000 or more then have to fix it up and likely have 2K or more into it and still have a used spa that you have to decontaminate and have no idea what shape it is in, I would suggest saving your money for a bit until you can afford a new spa. There are some inexpensive spas that are at least new and carry some warranty. Some used deals are a good deal, but most are not IMO. I looked a long time prior to buying. I think you will regret buying a used tub unless it is relatively new and high end spa that has been well taken care of. You will get what you pay for. Good luck.

Thanks, I am fairly handy, I don't mind problem solving and fixing things, I just like to start off with a good product from the start. Like I said earlier, I am so new to spas I am not sure what brands to avoid or what designs to look for, so if anyone has any thoughts on what to avoid/buy as far as brands are concerned, I am all ears.

Thanks again I really appreciate any help I can get.

You can buy brand new similar tubs $2999.00 delivered to your door. At least they are new with warranty. If you are looking for a higher end spa, read here through the threads. It won't take you long to find out what are considered the "top brands". It is all about how much money you want to spend. And just to say up front, I hope this does not turn into a debate on Big Store Chains as there are already too many threads doing that. I mention them because you are looking to buy a inexpensive tub. There are happy owners that stand behind them. I would recommend that over a $1000 Craig List tub in most cases. Again, good luck.

I bought a used spa off of Craigslist. After wiring it up, I have about $2000 dollars in it, and haven't had any problems with it.

I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Dave

You have to be careful, but you can get great deals on used hot tubs. I bought mine off Craigslist for $2,000. It's a 2006 Sundance Optima in great shape. Look for a brand name like Sundance, Hot Springs, Dimension I or Jacuzzi to name some of them. Make sure it's full of water and running and you get to wet test it. Never buy an tub that is not operational.

On top of the $2,000 I spent for the tub, I spent another approximately $1,000 for moving it from the private individual I bought it from to my house and for the electrician to hook it up.

I shopped for about two months before buying and had to act very quickly when I saw this one on Craigslist. When a very good deal comes up they go quickly and you have to recognize it when you see it, but that will come by educating yourself on what to look for. Used spas at the dealers are also worth looking at and they may offer some warranty.

WET TEST BEFORE BUYING

You have to be careful, but you can get great deals on used hot tubs. I bought mine off Craigslist for $2,000. It's a 2006 Sundance Optima in great shape. Look for a brand name like Sundance, Hot Springs, Dimension I or Jacuzzi to name some of them. Make sure it's full of water and running and you get to wet test it. Never buy an tub that is not operational.

On top of the $2,000 I spent for the tub, I spent another approximately $1,000 for moving it from the private individual I bought it from to my house and for the electrician to hook it up.

I shopped for about two months before buying and had to act very quickly when I saw this one on Craigslist. When a very good deal comes up they go quickly and you have to recognize it when you see it, but that will come by educating yourself on what to look for. Used spas at the dealers are also worth looking at and they may offer some warranty.

WET TEST BEFORE BUYING

So you have $3000 in a 5-6 year old used tub with no warranty. Not saying a bad deal, but again, you get what you pay for. In my opinion (only my opinion) $3000 for a 5 year old tub might be a fair deal, not at all a steal. (IF it is in pristine condition at that age) I still say save your coin and buy new unless you come across a 1-2 year old spa in perfect shape, which will sell for about 50% of new price in this area. I paid $7700 delivered and hooked up for a brand new Sundance Altamar and just taking it home drops the value by 30-40% I promise. Good luck.

LOL,, Beemers VS Spa's? Now there is apples and oranges. I am glad you like your spa and I hoe you enjoy it. What I am saying is I am sure I can buy a newer Sundance (or the like) only a couple years old for about 50% of original selling price. That makes more sense to to me than having nearly the same money into a 5 year old used tub. I also said that if it were in pristine condition it is a fair deal. Did not say anything about a Corolla. By the way, I am very familiar with BMW's, and I am not so sure I would not choose a corolla over one. Lots of trouble and way too expensive to work on. Hard to believe a Beemer owner would settle for a used spa. (JK)

My point was some people believe in buying high priced items used and I am one of them and always will be. Some people would prefer buying everything brand new and I need them. If nobody bought new, I would never find good deals on used.

By the way I find that most people who drive BMW's are jerks and are proud of it. I hate the BMW message board, but it really is a great car to drive. I've been driving late model used Volvo's for the past 25 years and this is my first BMW. I do the majority of the work on my cars myself, but not sure I can do that on the BMW. Time will tell.

By the way a new Sundance Optimaa would probably be more than $10K so I really paid less than 1/3 of that including the cost of the electrician. It is in pristine condition, but I have had to do some work on it. I replaced the heater because of a leak and the leak dripped on one of the blower motors so I had to replace that. Very easy items to replace and the cost was less than $400 total.

Buying used items that have been properly maintained is the key and knowing a good deal when you see it.

I agree with your entire post. And it does sound like you did find a good deal on our spa. They are few and far between and when they come up, they are quickly snatched up. If you are patient, they can be found. I looked for some time and all I could find in tubs in very tough shape. By the time I bought my spa, paid the taxes and even though I did almost all the wiring myself, I had close to 8800.00 into it. Happy tubbing

Hello everyone,

Here's a different deal, if its not gone already.

http://humboldt.craigslist.org/zip/2684978081.html

The estimates are obviously for a dealer to do the work. Needless to say if you're handy and do the work yourself its a fraction of the cost.

OP1

Hello everyone,

The estimates are obviously for a dealer to do the work. Needless to say if you're handy and do the work yourself its a fraction of the cost.

OP1

…BUT there are always better deals than this kind where you have a lot of work to do to get it going. Its not really free and it all depends on what your time is worth to you. There may be a lot of time and effort in this and you may find it needs more work than they claim (imagine that?).

As a general rule you should not buy a used hot tub that you can’t see filled, up to temp and fully operating. When this isn’t possible, owners who just want it gone resort to the “free for the taker” route. Often times “free” tubs are just someone’s attempt to get you to haul their junk away for them.

I’ll never forget the “free” car I got from a relative when I was 15. All I needed to do was get it towed home and fix it because I was told it just needed x and y. Shortly thereafter someone with more experience than myself (it didn’t take much) examined it and explained to me why the car was not even close to being worth repairing. Then it became my job to get it hauled to the junkyard. Thanks for the "free" car Uncle $%&@#.

Hello everyone,

OP1

…BUT there are always better deals than this kind where you have a lot of work to do to get it going. Its not really free and it all depends on what your time is worth to you. There may be a lot of time and effort in this and you may find it needs more work than they claim (imagine that?).

As a general rule you should not buy a used hot tub that you can’t see filled, up to temp and fully operating. When this isn’t possible, owners who just want it gone resort to the “free for the taker” route. Often times “free” tubs are just someone’s attempt to get you to haul their junk away for them.

I’ll never forget the “free” car I got from a relative when I was 15. All I needed to do was get it towed home and fix it because I was told it just needed x and y. Shortly thereafter someone with more experience than myself (it didn’t take much) examined it and explained to me why the car was not even close to being worth repairing. Then it became my job to get it hauled to the junkyard. Thanks for the "free" car Uncle $%&@#.

There is definitely a caveat here, and I did a lot of tire kicking. I picked up a 1993 Sundance Maxus, free. I knew I would have to put some sweat equity into it. In short I put in about $800 and maybe 12 hours here and there getting it ready. (New controller, heater, spa-side framing and skirting) Fixed a few minor leaks,( diverter valve) and now have a nice hot tub on my patio. Would I have liked a new tub. Hell yea! But I wasn't going to get one for this price. It also was a great project for my son and I to work on together. So if your a tinker and handy its an option to explore.

OP1

(If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy)

There is definitely a caveat here, and I did a lot of tire kicking. I picked up a 1993 Sundance Maxus, free. I knew I would have to put some sweat equity into it. In short I put in about $800 and maybe 12 hours here and there getting it ready. (New controller, heater, spa-side framing and skirting) Fixed a few minor leaks,( diverter valve) and now have a nice hot tub on my patio. Would I have liked a new tub. Hell yea! But I wasn't going to get one for this price. It also was a great project for my son and I to work on together. So if your a tinker and handy its an option to explore.

OP1

...and all thats true but people need to hear more than just the stories of how it worked well for you or my B-I-L got a free (or nearly free) spa a couple years ago and is handy and it worked out great.

But I can tell you MANY stories of other people who got nothing more than a headache and even if you're handy, some spas are just not worth it and you almost never get the straight scoop form the person who wants you to clear his yard out for him so "buyer beware" (or in this case "hauler beware").

If you do get a free tub make sure you have a sawzall and a bunch of blades ready to go.

I can tell you from experience most free tubs are nothing more than garbage. I have moved probably close to 200 free tubs in my years and very few have turned into anything more than a trip to the dump after an hour of cutting. But every once in a while a great deal comes along. I think it was a 2002 D1 Chairman 2, free. 3 hours of repair at 60 per. (frozen) 160 dollar heater and flow sensor. 5 dollars in PVC. Gas and 1 hour labor to pick up and move to my garage, total, about 500 invested. Sold for 2500 with a 1 year warranty. It's been almost 3 years, no phone calls. Maybe they lost my number??

OP1

...and all thats true but people need to hear more than just the stories of how it worked well for you or my B-I-L got a free (or nearly free) spa a couple years ago and is handy and it worked out great.

But I can tell you MANY stories of other people who got nothing more than a headache and even if you're handy, some spas are just not worth it and you almost never get the straight scoop form the person who wants you to clear his yard out for him so "buyer beware" (or in this case "hauler beware").

Agreed there is a "hauler beware" clause one should keep in mind. In my case on the surface things looked like they had been cared for. I figured if worst came to worse, I would put the sawzall to use and put the pumps up on ebay to recover some of my time. As it turned out maybe I just got lucky.

One other point to add. I have heard tons of reasons not to get a spa. Including look at all the spas they are giving away. To much cost, to much work, don't use it enough. For me this just might be a trial spa. Is this really for me? Will I lose my enthusiasm for this after a while. If so it will have been a minor investment. Which brings me to another question which I will post separately.

OP1