Beachcomber 550X (Digital 2000) Topside Control

sdizzyday

Topside controller indicator lights don't work anymore, but functions do. Do any of you know if I can use the generic Balboa (51225) topside controller instead of buying the genuine Beachcomber one for twice the price?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Scott

no beachcomber will only to a beachcomber topside.it might be that the led's still work and just the back light is burnt out. some of the balboa topside controllers come apart so you can change the light(10226 panel light)

Topside controller indicator lights don't work anymore, but functions do. Do any of you know if I can use the generic Balboa (51225) topside controller instead of buying the genuine Beachcomber one for twice the price?

Scott

no beachcomber will only to a beachcomber topside.it might be that the led's still work and just the back light is burnt out. some of the balboa topside controllers come apart so you can change the light(10226 panel light)

• 4 weeks later...

Scott

I am experiencing the same trouble with the same controller. I emailed several photos to Balboa Tech support and they say that in my case the 51225 will work. I am not telling you what you should do (so you won't hold me responsible; lol) but I can say that I will be buying a Balboa 51225. There is even a Balboa label on the cable of the Beachcomber control. I would glady forward you the photos I sent to Balboa if you wish. Where are you located and who is your source for parts? I am in Canada and just waiting for a price from thehottubsuperstore(dot)com.

• 2 weeks later...

Scott

I am experiencing the same trouble with the same controller. I emailed several photos to Balboa Tech support and they say that in my case the 51225 will work. I am not telling you what you should do (so you won't hold me responsible; lol) but I can say that I will be buying a Balboa 51225. There is even a Balboa label on the cable of the Beachcomber control. I would glady forward you the photos I sent to Balboa if you wish. Where are you located and who is your source for parts? I am in Canada and just waiting for a price from thehottubsuperstore(dot)com.

I find it frustrating that so often on these pages problems are presented but their solutions never follow. Do people give up looking for that solution or perhaps they solve their problem but just never bother letting the rest of the world know?

So for the problem presented here... the Balboa 51225 is the exact replacement! I'm including a picture of my success story. I purchased the new top-side control from a Canadian source, thehottubsuperstore(dot)com. The fellow there is extremely helpful, his prices are very reasonable (I did alot of looking), you can make your purchase online, and it will ship to your door within a couple of days. I will not accept responsibility for anyone who reads this and then wrecks their tub or gets themselves or someone else hurt trying to fix it; but I will say it was quite an easy fix (about 20 minutes). Be sure to turn off the power to your tub before starting. I found it helpful to tie a string to the old wire before removing it; that way I had the string to pull the new wire back down through. And the old existing wire may be tied into a coil behind the spa control box (mine was) preventing it from being pulled up. Besides that and breaking the adhesive loose on the old panel its pretty much plug and play! Oh, its probably a good idea to momentarily power up the tub to make sure its fixed before peeling the paper to expose the new adhesive. Take care and enjoy your new control; I am!

balboa_51225-1.jpg

Now if I could just find out why the new digitiser I put on my old Ipod touch 3G is unresponsive just like the old one...