Caldera Olympia

Mardimus

I have a caldera olympia spa. Detailed specs of hot tub are below.

So a few months ago i realized that pump 1 went out and was not working. I removed it from the hot tub and found that the starter cap had blown out. I replaced it ($2.50 fix). I installed the pump and hooked everything back up, filled the tub, added a new filter and went to turn on the tub and the pump started up and ran for about 10 seconds and then shut off. My led display showed three blinking dots under the temp. I went through all the jet settings and the second pump kicked on showing that all the massage jets are working and then back to the circ pump to find out it would kick on and then off again. If i leave it on it does this over and over which now makes sense why the starter cap was blown the first time as if it does this over and over for days then it would blow the cap. So my next question is where do i begin to diagnose why it kicks on and off. Any help would be appreciated. I have ton of pictures and have no problem uploading them for a more visual perspective. Thanks.

Its 380 gallons, 7x7, 6 person specs:

Caldera Olympia Spa

Watkins Shell 9/3/02

#OLH3d1115

Hig/Oly 39063-3 W-Sand

Pumps (2X):

Caldera Spas

Relia-Flo XP2

pn: 39579

Model: 06110731-1

Motor attached to pump:

Century Laser Pool/Spa Motor

A.O. Smith

1081/1563 Pump Duty

Part:7-177865-02

Type: CSM, FR:R48y

HZ: 60, RPM:3450/1725

Volts:230, Amps: 6.3/1.8

Time:Cont, HP:1.5-.18SPL

Board:

Spa Builders

Model: SC-CF-P121-P211-01-NE-LS-WK2

10696-01C

ID: 3-72-7023

If bearings are good and the shaft spins free when turning then I would next look at the centrifugal switch to see if it's shifting from the start winding to the run winding. This switch is mechanical and is prone to failure over time. You should hear a loud humming from the motor on start-up that lasts maybe 1/2 a second (this is when the motor is on its start winding). After that the switch (using springs and weight against centrifugal force) then shifts the motor over to the run winding. If the motor does not shift (you should hear a clicking about a 1/2 second after the start) the you are still running on the start winding. You will draw a tremendous number of amps until to motor's cut off switch heats up and shuts the motor down. This will cycle again.... and again.... every time the cut off switch cools and re-conducts.