Hot Tub In The Winter?

ams1212

Hey folks!

Just to be upfront: I have absolutely no knowledge on hot tubs. In about two weeks, I'll be moving into a house with a portable spa hot tub in the backyard. We would really like to keep it running throughout the winter, but I would like some information on the upkeep and whatnot... just to see if it's a reasonable thing to do. We live in Tahoe and the temperature in the winter averages 20 to -9 during the winter months. The hot tub is not under an awning, and while it is in good condition the lid looks worn/slightly ripped on a small area in the middle where it folds over. Could I get some estimates on the gas bills and maybe a little info on what the upkeep might be?

Thanks!

To give you even a wild guess we need to know your what you pay for gas, and what brand the tub is, right now it is like asking us what it costs to drive a car in Burma. Need more info.

Hey folks!

Just to be upfront: I have absolutely no knowledge on hot tubs. In about two weeks, I'll be moving into a house with a portable spa hot tub in the backyard. We would really like to keep it running throughout the winter, but I would like some information on the upkeep and whatnot... just to see if it's a reasonable thing to do. We live in Tahoe and the temperature in the winter averages 20 to -9 during the winter months. The hot tub is not under an awning, and while it is in good condition the lid looks worn/slightly ripped on a small area in the middle where it folds over. Could I get some estimates on the gas bills and maybe a little info on what the upkeep might be?

Thanks!

Covers cost around 3-4 hundred bucks but gas, are you sure it runs on gas. Is it a round wooden hot tub? Is it a built in hot tub with a pump and heater seperate?

Hot tubs that run on gas or LP are common in areas where electricity levels went way up first, like the west coast, gas works great for heating speed, but in my area, for example, electricity is only $0.06 per KWH so even with sub-zero winters a full size 8 ft spa will be operable for around $30.

Heating cost for spas is very dependant on how often you use it, because when you do, you are heating the sky, and I don't care who made your spa, when the lid is off, you pay.

We haven't moved in yet, so I don't know how much we will be paying for gas. The only name on the hot tub that I could find was "Portable Spa". I guess it's about 5X5 or less, it's made out of an orange synthetic type wood. I didn't realize it could either be running on gas or electric... I will ask my landlord. I was just curious. I know I will have to have it running about every hour to keep it above freezing temperature, but I was told by a few folks there would be a lot of cleaning/maintenance required. Kind of like chlorinating a pool. Is this true in most cases?

It will not take any more effort to keep it running in the winter than in the summer. We actually use ours more in the winter than the summer. Adding the chems each time you use it or once a week will be fine. During snow storms, I keep up with shoveling a path to the hot tub more then the front door!

You also should always keep an eye open that it is actually keeping the water warm because you do not want it freezing while you are away/not using.

Hot tubs are designed to be filled with water & used, not drained for the winter or summer and sit empty.

Good Luck & Welcome to Tubbing!

Hot tubs can be very easy to care for, there are a plethora of water care threads on this forum, so I will share with you the biggest mistake my customers make.

Don't overdo the chlorine.

Too high a chlorine level distorts the colors of the test strip you use to test you other water values, so if your chlorine reads too high, do not attempt to adjust anything else until that level falls to the normal range.

If you use a hot tub like a bath tub, the tub will be a lot of work to clean, shower off before you use it.

Whatever is on a person when they get in, comes off.

Sun tan lotion, deoderants, skin creams, make-up, hair conditioner, laundry soap residue in swimsuits, all of this is preventable.

If the tag says "portable spa" only the outer cabinet is going to be wood, the interior is likely to be Acrylic, Rovel, Gel coat, or Polypropolyne, all which are easier to clean that wood.