Moving - Need New Pad

bcdudley

I have an older model hot tub that I purchased a few months back and put on my patio. I am moving next week and will not have a patio to put it on. It will need to go in the yard. I understand that it needs a flat and solid surface. The bottom of it is open and just 2x4's running here and there. My plan was to put treated and sealed plywood screwed to the bottom of it. Then place it on top of gravel.

Would this work? Would closing the bottom cause problems like mold or something else? Can I use gravel and if so, how thick do I need to make it?

Thank you.

From your question, it appears you're looking for a simple, inexpensive way to provide a flat, level surface for your hot tub.

But you must realize that your hot tub when filled with water is very heavy. Depending on the size of your tub, it will weigh from 3,000 to 5,000 lbs when full. The base it sits upon must be strong, firm and stable...able to withstand and resist the influences of the elements over time.

Generally speaking, the typical foundation will be at least 6" - 10" deep, depending on the choice of materials. I would recommend your base design extend well beyond the perimeter of the bottom of your hot tub to allow for walking, entry steps, and service.

There are a variety of materials to choose from besides gravel. Whatever materials or combination of materials you choose, you should check with the local building codes to make sure your foundation is installed to code.

Personally, I would recommend pavers. They look better than concrete or gravel. Pavers are available in a lot of different types, styles and looks, so you have a lot of design/appearance options.

The standard installation for pavers requires three layers: bottom layer of gravel for drainage; middle layer of sand for leveling, and the top layer the pavers themselves. There are dozens of online "How to" videos for foundations for concrete, pavers, etc., to view. If you take a little time to view some of these videos, you'll be able to get a sense of what needs to be done and the work involved.

If you're at all handy, it can be a do-it-yourself kind of job, but it requires more than just basic skill level....more like intermediate skill to be done right. If your skill level is only "basic" handyman, then patience and a willingness to learn will be the most important attributes to DIY.

Good luck,

narukami B)

Thank you. I will consider that. I have done pavers before and I had considered them for this, but I was not sure they would support the weight. My intention was to put this in temporarily until I am ready to finish out the backyard with a deck, but I may consider using the pavers instead. I had also wanted to sink the tub into the ground about a foot whenever I do the work, but I am concerned about water flooding the electrical pack when it rains hard.

I was considering the gravel base as a temporary measure, but I do not know how long it would be for, maybe a month, maybe a couple years. Would it still be a good idea to enclose the bottom with treated plywood, or should this be left open.

Thanks,

Brian

i would still use pavers,,, when you go to set the tub down on the gravel it may not stay level from setting the spa... pavers are cheap and will provide better support for the tub...if you are going to sink the tub, you will want to buils a concrete chamber and add a drain in the base... you will want to make the chaber wide enough around the spa to be able to fix a repair. then put a wood decking around the tub over the chamber with access door

Thank you. I am not sure I would want to go the route of a recessed chamber as it would require a pump for the location it would be in. I will just build soem stairs up to it. Since we are planning on moving, I had not built or purchased stairs for it yet, so we have been using a 5 gallon bucket for the last month to get in and out. I think the wife is getting tired of that approach, so the deck or pavers or whatever will be forthcoming very soon.

Thanks for the advice.