Disconnecting The Onzen System

It's been almost two years now and I've never been able to get the system to work. It's been replaced three times. I have it set to the highest setting, done the smoke test, etc, etc, and now I've had enough.

Anybody know if I can just unplug the onzen unit and start up the tub using the regular bromine pucks?

Thanks

It's been almost two years now and I've never been able to get the system to work. It's been replaced three times. I have it set to the highest setting, done the smoke test, etc, etc, and now I've had enough.

Anybody know if I can just unplug the onzen unit and start up the tub using the regular bromine pucks?

Thanks

Are you doing this out of frustration? I thought Arctic had worked out the kinks with their system, I'd give the manufacturer a call dierctly before I gave up.

I have had my Arctic spa (Kodiak) for almost a year now.

It came with the Onzen version 7.x, and after a winter of haggling with the store and support, they finally came out and replaced it with the version 8 last April.

It worked great until mid-July, and now it has stopped producing Cl.

So now I go back to the store/support and they have suggested to replace the version 8 with an 8.1 (?). OR I can pay $400 for the "newest" Genesis system.

It is starting to sound like the pucks are more reliable and will cost me less!

It came with the Onzen version 7.x, and after a winter of haggling with the store and support, they finally came out and replaced it with the version 8 last April.

So now I go back to the store/support and they have suggested to replace the version 8 with an 8.1 (?). OR I can pay $400 for the "newest" Genesis system.

You are having the same experience I did except after two years I'm already on my third version of the system. I've spoken to the store, Head Office, the Blue Falls representative and written a letter to the president of Arctic Spa.

Nobody can make this this work for any length of time but they always have some new "wonder" chemical that will fix me up for a price.

cloudywaters,

sorry to hear the frustration your having with the Onzen, as i have always siad on this forum and to our customers i am not a fan of the salt and bromine generators, been there done that,,, theres always a better one than before....hahaha, i am still a fan of ozone and chlorine,,,,less work less maintenance ,, especially when the cunsumer has to clen the salt celss quite often,,, i have had many generators,,, most out in the field we have taked out........

cloudywaters,

sorry to hear the frustration your having with the Onzen, as i have always siad on this forum and to our customers i am not a fan of the salt and bromine generators, been there done that,,, theres always a better one than before....hahaha, i am still a fan of ozone and chlorine,,,,less work less maintenance ,, especially when the cunsumer has to clen the salt celss quite often,,, i have had many generators,,, most out in the field we have taked out........

The past has certainly not been positive on salt water chlorine generators for hot tubs but I had thought Arctic was getting their system going after being handcuffed from the start but it appears otherwise, too bad. The Hot Springs system didn't have those same growing pains and seems to have figured it out but in time others will follow with systems that work I’m sure.

It can be a game changer for dealers if they get this right because even though simple chlorine systems work (that’s what I’ve always used with ease), a salt water chlorine generator is the kind of thing customers have always wanted (like it or not) and is a very good selling tool in the short term and an even greater selling tool long term if it has proven itself out. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

You are having the same experience I did except after two years I'm already on my third version of the system. I've spoken to the store, Head Office, the Blue Falls representative and written a letter to the president of Arctic Spa.

Nobody can make this this work for any length of time but they always have some new "wonder" chemical that will fix me up for a price.

I just bought an ARCTIC SUMMIT and was told this ONZEN system was State of the Art. Wellll - I found out differently. I've had cloudy water from the get-go and no success clearing it up .. no matter what setting I used. Was also told, NEVER use water clarifiers, will clog the ARCTIC filters.

After weeks of hearing this gum beating from the dealer, I went out to a competitor and ask the same questions... W/O saying anything negative of the Arctic Spa dealership, they advised to use about 4 ozs. of LEGEND water clarifier and run the filter just as I would normally.

24 hours later, sparkling clear water. Seems it's actually the filter itself that causes a lot of the problems, (but that's just my observation)

I haven't had a problem with clear water since that time and only used the water clarifier once in about 5 weeks.

Paid $1,800 extra for ONZEN and a $15.00 bottle of clarifier worker better than the intended system.

ARCTIC SPA may have a better than average SPA, but there salt generators s... !

Just thought I add my 2 cents.

• 1 month later...

If you haven't read the Watkins ACE manual, you should do so before spending the money on it.

Arctic still thinks their customers like being lab rats, but they haven't the experience in the business most long term manufacturers do, and they rely on customers for R&D feedback.

As an independant repairmen, I get the customers who are the most POed at the dealer and/or manufacturer, and the feedback is pretty harsh.

If you factory wizards really want to sell a ton of spas, come up with a system that is simpler and cheaper than chlorine, not insanely complicated and carrying $1800 price tags, you can get a lot of chlorine for $100.

Salesmen have managed to capitalize on the fear of chlorine or the overhyped "allergic reactions" to chlorine that are nothing more than a natural reaction to chlorine that is at several times the level it should be.

Great, just great, only you have created a bigger problem.

Try honesty guys, it works in the repair industry just fine.

• 1 month later...

Wow,???

My summit it working great with Onzen, I have the latest version which you can change the electrode yourself, running Sodium Bromide, CP setting from 1 to 4 depending on the usage, even if you had to change the electrode every year, it sure beats the **** out of a floater pucks, after heavy usage just give it a little refresh or shock, Super easy

• 5 weeks later...

Purchased my 2011 Arctic Spa Summit Legend in August. Was assured by my dealer that although Arctic had issues with prior salt systems, the current version (8) was free of problems. Appeared to work properly initially but water went cloudy and could not be recovered. Additionally, I could never maintain any measurable amount of bromine. Religious attention was paid to water balance (pre-filter water filling, weekly water testing and weekly filter cleaning). Within two months the water had to be changed three times (note: It was rarely used. Bathed without soap prior to use and even used without bathing suits). All this, combined with cost of chemicals to re-balance and re-salt made the whole "spa experience" HELL! Have come to the conclusion that either the dealer doesn't know what's going on or just doesn't care about after sales service except to sell more chemicals. Subsequent calls to Arctic were met with "well the dealer should of" and "the salt generator is meant to be replaceable, speak to your dealer". Sure, I agree but, every two months!! (That's $600 per year, just on salt generators!)

After all that stick handling and passing the buck, I was on the verge of putting the money pit up for sale. As a last ditch effort, I re-filled and re-balanced. Chucked the salt in the garbage. Added bromine granules for an initial bromine bank and put some bromine tabs in a floater and Voila!! Crystal clear, odour free water with a proper bromine residual! Could it be! I didn't want to push my luck and monitored for a few weeks while adding 1/2 cap of shock after our now regular use. The water continues to remain so clear, it appears like it was just filled! The hellish burden of maintaining the water has dropped by 95%. It also proved it had nothing to do with me, or filters or bathing suits...

From other Arctic onzen posts there seemed to common thread that it was the spa owner who could not manage their tubs. Change filters, clean filters weekly, bi-weekly, daily. Do this, buy that. Were here to help....Well I think the shoes fits better on the other foot and Arctic and their dealer network should stop paying lip service, properly test their equipment and then stand by it afterward. Either the onzen systems are defective or the salt mixture is ineffective or both.

In all fairness, the Summit (without the salt) is now the tub it was claimed to be. Enjoyable, relaxing and energy efficient.

Thank you for this forum. It would appear to be only voice the consumer has to be heard by other consumers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, as an update to the tragic tale....

All my complaining caused the company (then Arctic Spa) to replace the Onzen system completely.

So, now I have the new Genesis system, and an ugly probe inside the tub (a leftover from the Onzen 8 install)

That was done in late August. It seemed to work fine for a bit, but now I don't get any Br.

Luckily, when 'Arctic Spas (Oakville)' ditched Blue Falls (or vice versa), the Genesis warranty is still good with the new Jacuzzi of Ontario company.

After a bit of haggling, they can out and replaced the Genesis electrode. BUT - still no Bromine.

An email from the company states:

"...you might have bio-film in your lines as a result of your tub running for extended periods of time with little to no sanitizer."

I don't know how that would affect a brand new electrode. But they still think I am the stupid, whiny guy that comes into the store every weekend. They tried the confuse and confabulate approach:

- "what are your filter settings at? Frequency? temperature setting? Louvers? etc."

But I'm not buying it.

They even had the nerve to suggest that I might want to trade-in to their new vendors' model. "The Jacuzzi tubs are waaaayyy better!" - WTF?

Now it's a game to me.