Pool Covers

klb5245

Any words of wisdom with respect to pool covers. We must have a cover if we build a pool because we have a lot of trees and want to keep most of them. I have found a lot of info on all types, but no info from owners. pros & cons of each would be helpful. Thanks

Are you looking at a winter cover or just something to catch everyday stuff?

Scott

An automatic cover is your best bet. A traditional safety cover is not meant for and is too much of a PITA to get used for daily use. They are expensive but if you need it, you need it/

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Any words of wisdom with respect to pool covers. We must have a cover if we build a pool because we have a lot of trees and want to keep most of them. I have found a lot of info on all types, but no info from owners. pros & cons of each would be helpful. Thanks

We had an autocover installed with our 16 x 40 inground last summer. It's probably the most important piece of the setup. I can check the manufacturer - I believe they are out of UT - but it's the only one our installer dealt with. I can't say enough about them. The amount of debris they keep out is massive. We have a few oak trees well away (like 30-50 feet) from the pool but there is so much debris in the air you never even see until the pool cover is off that you will be glad you put one in. Ours was 7K installed.

You will also use a lot less chemicals. Keeping water pumped off is simple. The safety aspect, as well, cannot be overstated.

If you do install one, pay attention to which end of the pool they place it, as the chamber and cover will get in the way of standing at that end. Ours is at the deep end, and it's simple to stand just behind the metal cover and dive, but if I did it again I'd place it at the shallow end where I never tend to get in from.

Also, since water will enter the chamber in massive amounts when you are playing in the pool (washing over the tiled rim) be sure to plumb your drain line in such a way that the shortest distance possible is used to daylight it. They do get clogged with debris from time to time, so it's a lot more fun to run a ten foot snake in there than a fifty foot (and of course, you might just tell them to cover the drain opening with a grated cap). And even better, add an extra drain line during the build. And make the chamber as big as your installer/concrete guy can stand. Extra room in the chamber means small bits of debris wont' wash onto the cover when it is rolled up while swimming, and then subsequently drop into the pool when you cover it back up.