Part-Time Spa Dealer

Hey all,

I am interested in becoming spa dealer to sell spa/equipment etc. I have no experience in this field and would like to do this as a part time business to make some extra scratch and see how it pans out.

As i am only in the planning stages I would appreciate any info/ideas you can give me about going into this type of business. Pros/cons, products to consider and or avoid.

regards.

Hey all,

I am interested in becoming spa dealer to sell spa/equipment etc. I have no experience in this field and would like to do this as a part time business to make some extra scratch and see how it pans out.

As i am only in the planning stages I would appreciate any info/ideas you can give me about going into this type of business. Pros/cons, products to consider and or avoid.

regards.

I would suggest you take some classes to learn about parts/repairs ect. or you could be in quite a mess, unless you are going to be like these furniture stores that just sell spas, send them out the door and when the customer calss, says they must call the manufacturer. IMO its not a field you should enter with no knowledge of what you are doing. You are talking about water/electricity and humans. You mess up and it may not be good. I would research where classes are available close to you. Several of the manufactures offer classes you can take, even if you are just selling, you should know and understand the parts or you will be no different than a customer going to the internet to seek their own parts, and you wont make any extra scratch trying to compete with the internet unless you have the knowledge to back what you are selling.

I don't like the idea of jumping in an industry you know nothing about.

Many spa stores, being led by people with a working knowledge of the industry and products, go under. I'd find something a little closer to home (something you know about) and pursue that field.

I would assume that spa manufacturers offer classes for their dealers (I know some do). I don't know if they offer them BEFORE you become a dealer.

My experience with spas is that even having worked on them for a few years, they SUCK. Definitely would not advise anyone who is not, at least an electrician, to become a dealer. When I was in the restaurant industry, the same would have been true. You need EXPERIENCE above all. Spas are not a part time gig, unless you want to sell crap mail order spas and not provide service after the sale. And if that's the case, God help your customers and the repair techs who have to clean up your mess.