Metal, Stain And Scale Out - Too Much?

New guy to pool maintenance. I'm using the Pooltime website, testing kit and products. Since taking over maintenance from pool service I test chemical balance. From the beginning and the last 4 weeks the test results indicate I should add 2 quarts of Metal, Stain and Scale out. I've added 8 quarts so far and today it's asking for 2 more. Does this sound right? Pool is 20k gallons. If I don't do this, what danger do I face? I also notice there is calcium builup on waterline tiles, is this because the water has been too hard?

Thanks in advance for replies.

AFAIK, Pooltime (sold at places like Home Depot and made by Chemtura) does not have a test for phosphonates (metal sequestrant) so I really don't know how the testing is indicating that you need to add that much, which sounds like an overdose and is NOT a good idea since it can precipitate calcium phosphonate and turn the pool milky and next to impossible to clear!

Also, they only offer test strips for water testing, which are basically useless!

Also, they do not offer tests for metals and, unless you have metals in your water, you have no need for a metal sequestrant.

Be aware that Pooltime just wants to sell you chemicals, as do the other Chemtura brands (including AquaChem, Guardex, Sun, Omni, and Bioguard, who's ALEX testing system is well known for overdosing pools and recmmending unneeded chemicals to maximize the dealer's profit margin and drain your wallet!)

Before we can give you any advice on your water we need a full set of test results form a pool store NOT done with strips but done with liquid or powder reagents from either Taylor or LaMotte.

Post them here and then get yourself a Taylor K-2006 test kit. It might seem pricey compared to a tube of strips but the amount of time and money it will save you in the long run make it the BEST investment in your pool that you can make.