Pool Frog Vs 3" Trichlor Pucks

I bought a 27' round 27000 gallon above ground pool last year that came with a pool frog chlorinator. I'm not sure if it would be cheaper to but the 3" trichlor pucks and buy a floater or use the pool frog. I'm pretty sure the pool frog uses trichlor also. I'M not sure If I would use the mineral pack for the pool frog which costs about $90.00- is it worth it? Any advice would be appreciated

• 2 months later...

I've been using the pool frog system for 3 seasons now, like you it came as part of my pool package. I like the fact that it keeps my chlorine levels lower (your chlorine levels will barely register on your meters thanks to the mineral pack), making it easier on the eyes. You only have to purchase a single mineral pack per season, it's the chlorine packs that you will swap out every week and half to two weeks (at least that’s how it’s going for me right now). In addition you would also need to pick up about two of the algaecide packs for the frog (good for 3 months). It is probably more expensive, but my pool store usually sells a whole season box with all the chemicals I need for a season for around 400.00. What I can tell you is aside from vacuuming and shocking the pool once a week, I have pretty much not had to do anything else to the pool during the season and have had no issues with algae, cloudiness, etc.

Be aware that the 'minerals' being put in your pool are metals from such chemicals as copper sulfate and silver nitrate. While these do have some activity against bacteria the zinc and copper are basically algacides and there is very little activity against viruses. The kill times for metals are very slow, which is why a fast acting residual sanitizer is still needed (the trichlor). The lowered FC level can get depleted very quickly with just a slighlty higher than normal organic load in the pool leaving the water unsanitized. Realize that every bather adds sweat, urine, and feces to the water no matter how clean they think they are. This is why a fast acting residual sanitizer like chlorine is necessary. Your money would be better spent on a good test kit such as a Taylor K-2006.

The pool frog will keep the water clear since the metals in the water do kill algae but clear water is not always safe water.

Also, metals stain pool. Copper turns hair green. Period.

Ever wonder why it came with your pool? It's because it generates a LOT of revenue for your dealer with future sales of mineral packs, bac packs (trichlor packs) and frog bam (copper based algaecide).

• 2 weeks later...