Hot Tub Rash ?

Reelaxin

Well as you can tell i the new newbie lol i have had a tub for about 8 years just baught a new one this past November works great no problems. But in the last month or so i have had a breakout of some kind of rash. Not sure if its related to the tub but i'm looking at all possibilities. Tub is at 103 all chems are where they should be. I have stayed out of the tub now for over a week which its kill'n me, since i use it 1 to 2 times a day for back and leg therapy. Not sure if i am bromine sensitive or not have used bromine before and no problems. since i have stayed out rash is going away. I am going to do a water change tomorrow seeing its been 4 months. Ane was thinking of using clor. or maybe salt?? which i need to look into, not many dealers or people around here to talk to. I did take a water sample in to N--co pools they said it was fine but had no advice on what to do :(

So anyone have any suggestions on what i can do or not do would be great. Thanks in advance Dana from Lil RI

How do you test your water??? Strips or Test Kit??? If your water is ballanced and you are having a reaction to bromine which you have not used before then decontaminate and switch to dichlor/bleach. Also I add borates and pool salt to my spa. helps the skin alot but if you are having rash issues something else need to be addressed.

I have been using test strips the 5 way ones all along with no problems,i have used bromine for yrs i did find on testing that my ph was low and was also low on bromine. My spa came with the built in spa F--g set up which i was using and the bromine was empty. So i super shocked and got levels back to normal adjusted ph and alk. Pool store tested water said it was fine. So i pulled apart the Fr-g bromine and refilled it with tablets added a few tablets to the filter skimmer and now i have been adding table spoon of shock after its used and few ounces of bleach. Hmmmmmmm salts?? would sea salt work and if so how much thanks D

It has been said a thousand times on this board but the Taylor test kit is the single best thing you can get for your tub and health. After you buy the kit for $60 or so the reagents are cheaper than test strips. If you get the Taylor test kit you will wonder how you survied without it.

Do you use borates???

Any pure salt will due. Most cooking slats have anti caking agents which will cloud the water. Best place for salt pool supply store. 40lb bag for less than $10.

Borates and salt doseing can be calculated with the pool calculator.

Drop the frog and go to 3 step bromine.

... OR...

You could just drain the tub, refill & use Chlorine. Far fewer people have skin issues with chlorine and there is none of this constant testing and adding of this and that. If you're too busy buying chemicals & testing your water every day... when does the relaxation come in?

Good luck!

... OR...

You could just drain the tub, refill & use Chlorine. Far fewer people have skin issues with chlorine and there is none of this constant testing and adding of this and that. If you're too busy buying chemicals & testing your water every day... when does the relaxation come in?

Good luck!

I don't think bromine takes any more time or testing than chlorine. If you are going to go without testing your water as you suggest then bromine would be more effective as bromimines are an effective sanitizer while chloramines are not.

When done properly both 3 step bromine and dichlor/bleach are effective and easy. It is only personal preference as to which is better. All spa owners should try them both so they know which fits there needs.

Either way to have a safe, ballanced tub you will have to spend 1 minute a day testing and balancing your water. That dosent keep me from relaxin but it does keep me from itching and scratching.

... OR...

Good luck!

I don't think bromine takes any more time or testing than chlorine. If you are going to go without testing your water as you suggest then bromine would be more effective as bromimines are an effective sanitizer while chloramines are not.

When done properly both 3 step bromine and dichlor/bleach are effective and easy. It is only personal preference as to which is better. All spa owners should try them both so they know which fits there needs.

Either way to have a safe, ballanced tub you will have to spend 1 minute a day testing and balancing your water. That dosent keep me from relaxin but it does keep me from itching and scratching.

Point well taken. I also just found the bromine treatment too cumbersome, so I only use the chlorine now except to shock as needed. I also haven't used my Taylor Kit for years, as I find the strips much easier, maybe that is also experience too. I have owned tubs for over 25 years, so I am done with busy work. I know of so many people who are afraid of the water maintenance stuff they hear & read, or they would likely join the hot tub owner community.

I just feel that good old trusty chlorine gets over looked because of all the "new" methods. You rarely hear of people having trouble with a chlorine program once they get going. Meanwhile, it seems post after post of issues with other types.

Best of luck with whatever program works for you best!

It has been said a thousand times on this board but the Taylor test kit is the single best thing you can get for your tub and health. After you buy the kit for $60 or so the reagents are cheaper than test strips. If you get the Taylor test kit you will wonder how you survied without it.

Do you use borates???

Any pure salt will due. Most cooking slats have anti caking agents which will cloud the water. Best place for salt pool supply store. 40lb bag for less than $10.

Borates and salt doseing can be calculated with the pool calculator.

Drop the frog and go to 3 step bromine.

Just salts will not sanitize, you have to have the generator to produce the chlorine or bromine BTW

Thanks guys i drained after using swirl away cleaner filled and flushed again. i switch from bromine to chlorine after getting Ph and alk set right.Also added Spa Silken to soften the water,as i drove 60+ miles to a spa dealer in mass who said using salt requires a salt generator addition and it was about 800. He recommended the spa silken so gonna give it a try. Hopefully it will do the trick and it rash will be no more.Seeing i was the only one having a problem i'm leaning to think that the the F--G system isn't good enough so i pulled it out and just check everyday as i did with my old tub " old school" check and add whats needed manually forget the new gadgets LOL I will be in the tub again today so by tomorrow i will no if it has worked. i'll keep You posted. Thanks to all!!

PS Now its time to open the Pool and get the solor panels ready