New Ozonator That Doesn't Gunk Up With Brown Stuff.

Fungi

Tub: Jacuzzi J-345 50th anniversary model

Capacity: 336 gallons

Ozonator: Yes

Jets: 27

Power: 240vac @ 60amp, can run pumps and heater at same time.

Circ Pump: Yes

Use: Year round, once every weeknight, sometime twice a day on W/E by two clean average size naked humanoids.

Last week we had a storm and it killed my outside light and my Jacuzzi's ozonator. I was chatting with the Jacuzzi support guy. He told me the ozonator originally used on my tub had a problem of gunking up with brown acid, and they now install a new design that does not have that problem. I asked him for the part number but he could not find it. I am an Electronic Engineer and can replace this myself, but I have no idea what to get. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

The ozonator it has now is a blue box smaller than a shoe box. Two ports, one unconnected and one with a long 1/4" tube. There are two check valves, with a flow restrictor between them, and then it connects to a fitting on a larger tube.

Help me please. I don't trust it without the ozone. Thanks, Jim

Tub: Jacuzzi J-345 50th anniversary model

Capacity: 336 gallons

Ozonator: Yes

Jets: 27

Power: 240vac @ 60amp, can run pumps and heater at same time.

Circ Pump: Yes

Use: Year round, once every weeknight, sometime twice a day on W/E by two clean average size naked humanoids.

Last week we had a storm and it killed my outside light and my Jacuzzi's ozonator. I was chatting with the Jacuzzi support guy. He told me the ozonator originally used on my tub had a problem of gunking up with brown acid, and they now install a new design that does not have that problem. I asked him for the part number but he could not find it. I am an Electronic Engineer and can replace this myself, but I have no idea what to get. Can anyone shed some light on this problem?

The ozonator it has now is a blue box smaller than a shoe box. Two ports, one unconnected and one with a long 1/4" tube. There are two check valves, with a flow restrictor between them, and then it connects to a fitting on a larger tube.

Help me please. I don't trust it without the ozone. Thanks, Jim

I used to really like the CD type ozone generators until I found that they were less forgiving when circ pumps failed, check valves failed, etc, etc which stopped the flow of air thru the units and causing early failure of the ozone generator. Now unless the customer is adamant about having a CD unit, I push the Prozone PZ-1 as a very inexpensive but trustworthy UV ozone generator which has a 2 year warranty and should be replaced every two years for optimum performance.

I used to really like the CD type ozone generators until I found that they were less forgiving when circ pumps failed, check valves failed, etc, etc which stopped the flow of air thru the units and causing early failure of the ozone generator. Now unless the customer is adamant about having a CD unit, I push the Prozone PZ-1 as a very inexpensive but trustworthy UV ozone generator which has a 2 year warranty and should be replaced every two years for optimum performance.

Help out a guy with the terminology. I assume I have a CD one now. It used to make a high pitched noise. So the UV one, does it kill by running water past the light, or does it still make bubbles?

This is so frustrating. Called Jacuzzi tech support. Told them my ozonator went out. The guy tells me "they are using a new one now that doesn't gunk up with brown acid." However he later told me the tech would not give a part number! Told me to go to a dealer... So, no part number, not even a description. Why is it when it comes to hot tubs, no one seams to have any freaking idea what the hell they are talking about!

Hey I was so frustrated I called the guy back. After further prodding I was able to get to the bottom of this. I swear some tech support people have little knowledge of the English language. They didn't switch to a new magic system that does not have the gunking up problem... Rather they changed the way it's configured. They no longer put the restrictor on the output of the ozonator, they instead put it on the input side. No brainer when you think about it... He also shared the part number. 6473-124A. So there it is. Mystery solved. Pfft... New ozonator system indeed. lol

• 4 weeks later...