Calcium Hardness, Professional Assistance?

jeremyh

I am looking for a little information reguarding a customer I am currently working with. I was out to his house a few months ago because he had water chemistry questions. (He has had the spa for 8 years...caldera kaui) The long story short, he was not testing & he was overly using walmarts calcium hypo... I got the customer on the right track. Gave him test strips spa frog mineral pack, and bioguards enhanced shock.He had ph/alk.

On 1/31/11 he brought in a water sample (Total Chlorine = 0 Free Chlorine = 0 PH = 8.2 ALK = 140 TH = 170) This is his tap water nothing added. Close enough, good to go.

2/14/11 He brought in another sample. (total chlorine = 0, free chlorine = 0, PH = 8, ALK = 167 TH = 1801) He mentioned there was fall out in the tub, this is actually his filter that was falling apart from the over use of the calhypo which I told him to replace, but he has not.

For the second sample I could see the chlorine levels being 0 due to the use of the mineral stick, and improper maintenance. My question is what could cause the calcium to go through the roof in a matter of 2 weeks? I will be calling him to find out more details, any ideas? I am going to retest to confirm numbers.

Short answer, you are testing with strips which are not reliable. Also strips do not test calcium hardness but TOTAL (calcium and magensium) hardness. In addition, why are you worrying about CH in an acrylic spa?

That is really an issue forplaster spas.

Post some reliable test results and we can take it from there.

Short answer, you are testing with strips which are not reliable. Also strips do not test calcium hardness but TOTAL (calcium and magensium) hardness. In addition, why are you worrying about CH in an acrylic spa?

Actually I am running a computer test, I finally got around to retesting and it came back down to the 190 range. Getting all worked up for nothing. Thank you anyways.

Actually I am running a computer test, I finally got around to retesting and it came back down to the 190 range. Getting all worked up for nothing. Thank you anyways.

A computer test is not any more accurate if a strip reader is being used. If you are using liquid reagents or dry reagents with a colorimeter (such as the LaMotte Waterlink Express) then, except for the limitations of this type of test compared to a titration, the results should be OK.