Blue Crystals On Filters

teb

Hello, I just joined the forum, so sorry if this issue has been discussed before. I used my swim spa for first time in a couple of wks this wkend and noticed a blue ring around the water line. Cleaned it off, and it came back again. I cleaned the filters, and they were coated with blue crystals. After doing a few web searches, it seemed that they could be deposits from copper. I hope it's not my pipes corroding, as my pH has been a little on the low side. here's a few other facts, hoping someone can help me determine what's going on:

-pH has been a bit on the low side. Salesperson told me it's better to keep it low, because the pH will rise every time I use the spa (is that true?). In any case, it was slightly low. I ordered some pH increaser for Spas online, but in meantime picked up pH increaser for POOLS at Lowes, and added a touch of that. (Blue crystals showed up afterwards.) Read afterwards that pools use soda ash, which shouldn't be used in spas (is that true?)

-I also switched from chlorinated granules to the 1" tables made for pools, with a floater. I only use about 5-7 pills at a time to try to keep the free chlorine at 1 ppm. My spa has an EcoPur Minural filter, and manual says I should only need 1 ppm free chlorine. I've been using these tablets for probably around 6 wks, never noticed any problem/blue crystals before, so not sure if this is a cause.

-Not sure if the spa's mineral filter contains copper, or if the DuPont chlorinated tables contain copper, and maybe THAT's what crystallized as result of low pH?

-also noticing by CYA level is at high-normal. Not sure how it's getting in there, perhaps the chl. tablets. I just switched to new test strips, and I'm seeing it register now. Previous test strips didn't test for it.

Other than that, the test strips show everything as it should be -- pH, TA, and CYA all in normal ranges. Free chlorine is a little high (3 ppm). The water doesn't smell and is not irritating, although I did notice my fingers turning pruney after about 1/2 hour. This morning, when I checked for a recurrence of a blue ring, no blue ring, but I noticed the water was a bit cloudy, added some shock.

Any ideas about what caused the blue crystals?

Hello, I just joined the forum, so sorry if this issue has been discussed before. I used my swim spa for first time in a couple of wks this wkend and noticed a blue ring around the water line. Cleaned it off, and it came back again. I cleaned the filters, and they were coated with blue crystals. After doing a few web searches, it seemed that they could be deposits from copper. I hope it's not my pipes corroding, as my pH has been a little on the low side. here's a few other facts, hoping someone can help me determine what's going on:

-pH has been a bit on the low side. Salesperson told me it's better to keep it low, because the pH will rise every time I use the spa (is that true?). In any case, it was slightly low. I ordered some pH increaser for Spas online, but in meantime picked up pH increaser for POOLS at Lowes, and added a touch of that. (Blue crystals showed up afterwards.) Read afterwards that pools use soda ash, which shouldn't be used in spas (is that true?)

Ph will rise with use, but the chlorine tablets you are using are very low on the PH scale. bring your PH to where it belongs. What is slightly low? each 10th to low drops the PH 100 times more acidic. You are fine with the PH up you purchased.

-I also switched from chlorinated granules to the 1" tables made for pools, with a floater. I only use about 5-7 pills at a time to try to keep the free chlorine at 1 ppm. My spa has an EcoPur Minural filter, and manual says I should only need 1 ppm free chlorine. I've been using these tablets for probably around 6 wks, never noticed any problem/blue crystals before, so not sure if this is a cause.

The graunales you were using were most likley di-chlor, the tablets are tri-chlor. The reason you should not use tri-chlor in a spa is that they are very acidic, and dissolve to rapidly for hot water. Since you have a swim spa, you have higher volumes of water, but it is still hot.

-Not sure if the spa's mineral filter contains copper, or if the DuPont chlorinated tables contain copper, and maybe THAT's what crystallized as result of low pH?

yes the mineral filter has copper, but not enough that should be causing the blue in the spa, Some of Duponts new tablets do have copper in the tablet, new this year. You would have to list the ingreidients to see if those are the ones you have.

-also noticing by CYA level is at high-normal. Not sure how it's getting in there, perhaps the chl. tablets. I just switched to new test strips, and I'm seeing it register now. Previous test strips didn't test for it.

When your CYA gets high, it decreases the effectivness of the chlorine, you will have to keep a higher ppm of chlorine to keepneed to get a Taylor test kit, not strips, specially when testing for CYA, because they are not as accurate. The CYA raises because di-chlor and tri-chlor, the chlorine you are using has CYA in it. Its the stabilizer. Once you get to 30-50 PPM, you would need to switch types of chlorine. it effective. Other than that, the test strips show everything as it should be -- pH, TA, and CYA all in normal ranges. Free chlorine is a little high (3 ppm). The water doesn't smell and is not irritating, although I did notice my fingers turning pruney after about 1/2 hour. This morning, when I checked for a recurrence of a blue ring, no blue ring, but I noticed the water was a bit cloudy, added some shock.

You really need to get a good test kit for more accurate reading, because you said CYA was normal/high and now normal. Cya does not leave the water, it goes lower only if there is splash out or over long periods, IF you are NOT adding anymore to the water. The chlorines you are using are adding it on a daily basis.

Any ideas about what caused the blue crystals?

I think they most likley are from copper, specially if you are using the tablets that have it in them, or it could be in your source water and it has fallen out of suspension and has just shown up. Also, are you using a clarifier, some of the "blue Goo" type ones will cause a blue ring on the spa and blue filters.

If you are going to stay with chlorine, you may need to develop a differnt method or change your water everythime the CYA gets high, or maybe Bromine is a better route for you.

Thanks for your response. I had decided to no longer use the tablets, and go back to the chlorinating granules made for spas, but I'm glad to now know WHY I shouldn't use them. I checked my filters again today, and they were again coated with blue crystals and my water is cloudy. Even after hosing down the filters, they still had a coating of blue deep in the folds, so I have swapped out to brand new filters, and am running the filter cycle, hoping water will clear. I had called my dealer in the meantime, and he warned me against using any of the "cheap" (his description) spa chemicals sold at places like Lowe's and Home Depot, as they had a lot of additives in them. so from now on, I'll be more careful.

Thanks for all the other information as well. Just to clarify my original post, when I said CYA was high and normal, I meant it's the highest it can be while still testing as "OK" -- it can't get any higher. when you say high CYA will decrease the effectiveness of chlorine -- does that mean my free chlorine will test low? or will it look okay on the test strips, but just not be effective? (and I will get a good test kit, just don't have one yet)

I just hope this episode won't cause any permanent damage to my spa's working parts -- it's only 9 months old. If water doesn't clear by the wkend, I'll drain and start over.

The chlorine will not test low with high CYA, the chlorine is less effective, thus you must maintain a higher chlorine level to kill germs. the below link will help you understand this and other water paramiters

http://www.poolcalculator.com/chemistry.html

Dichlor (the granuales you are using) has its downside in a spa enviroment because of the CYA build up, just plan on frequent water changes. trichlor, are low on the PH scale, cheap brand or not. i am assuming you may have purchased the ones that now have copper in them, thats why we ask for the ingreidients listed on the bottle. Good luck and I hope the link helps you