electric?

Guest Brian

I have a question about the electric for a inground pool.I will be installing the electric myself (I have done alot of residential in the past) and I wanted to know how most inground pools come today as far as, do they usually have a sub-panel with the equipment(filter pump, heat pump etc.) and feed from the main panel in the house or do you just run circuits from the main panel to feed the equipment directly, also are things like time clocks usually included or would I purchase them on my own?

thanks for any input,brian

I have a question about the electric for a inground pool.I will be installing the electric myself (I have done alot of residential in the past) and I wanted to know how most inground pools come today as far as, do they usually have a sub-panel with the equipment(filter pump, heat pump etc.) and feed from the main panel in the house or do you just run circuits from the main panel to feed the equipment directly, also are things like time clocks usually included or would I purchase them on my own?

Hello .. First, thing to do is check with city for permit requirements and apply as nessesary

An electrical contractormay be needed

Second, If no permits are required All power wires must be in conduit 1/2''-to 3/4'' as needed

all connections must be made in weather proff boxes with gaskets on covers,and silicone on extra hole plugs

Sub panels not required unless no space is left on Main panel, (A double pole breaker 240 volts for pumps )

and a (singlepole breaker 120 volts for lights)

2 pumps and an air blower and heater=30 amps breaker---1 pump only =20 amps breaker,all motors have

the horse power and amps it pull on a sticker

8 gauge wire = 50 amps

10 gauge wire =30 amps

12gauge wire =20 amps

14 gauge wire =15 amps

use #14 for lights=15 amps or upgrade wire and breaker as needed

use WATTS x#of lightsdivided by 120volts=amps breaker size. (do the same with 240V equipment)

bury all conduit at least 12 inches for 120 V

and 18 inches for 240V( I know ...a lot of work)

all timers, lights,air switches,and other controls you must supply unless you add them to your contract.

And above all>>>>>>>> BE SAFE>>>>>>>>>>somehelp

• 1 month later...

go with the sub panel. Especialy if your pool is far from the house. it saves you from having to run lots of wires, just the feeds for the subpanel. also, go large. this way you have room to add more things than just the pool. (garage, cabana, outdoor lighting, etc...)

• 1 year later...

Help! Opening up my pool and forund that mice have creted a home in my control box. cleaned it up and see that they snacked on my low voltage wireing. The stepdown transformer is shot and I cannonot get my pump running. I lieu to the transformer I tried to bypass and direct wire my 220V hayward pump. Measured the voltage to ~220 accross the two and 120 between each and neutral. The pump ran for a few minutes then stopped. I cycled the breaker and all the moter will do is humm!!!

• 2 weeks later...