Raypak Heater Turning On And Off By Itself

bejpool

First, my pool was leaking, and now my heater's on the fritz!

I have a Raypak heater model # P-R335A-EN that seems to have a mind of its own. When off, it'll turn on by itself and when on, it'll turn itself off. Sometimes, it changes the temperature settings! I've tried replacing the keypad/overlay, thinking that was the problem. Does anyone think it might be the PC board? I don't mind buying the board, but I want to be sure it's the problem considering it's a non-returnable item.

BTW- Raypak customer service SUCKS!!! I called the 805-278-5300 number this morning, and all they would do is recommend a service company that could come out and look at the heater. The lady on the phone said they didn't have a technical support department....whaaaat?!?! What kind of a chicken outfit is that? I'm more than capable of installing the board, just tell me that's what the problem is!

That is one of the more recent boards. By recent i mean that there is only one or two revisions since this board, but the last of the "old style" boards (before the current board). You can first try disconnecting the ribbon cable, to take the touch pad out of the equation, and see if the haunting goes away. If not, then it probably is the board.

Note: If you need a new board, i would get the upgraded board as opposed to replacing the same board. The same board is the same firmware (maybe later version, maybe earlier). The upgrade board is the one in use today and has had very few failures, not like the older boards that were a mess (many version changes before abandoning the board, and designing a new one). The upgrade board will also be different looking, and will replace the fenwall as well. Also be prepared for a higher price tag for the newer board too.

That is one of the more recent boards. By recent i mean that there is only one or two revisions since this board, but the last of the "old style" boards (before the current board). You can first try disconnecting the ribbon cable, to take the touch pad to take it out of the equation, and see if the haunting goes away. If not, then it probably is the board.

Note: If you need a new board, i would get the upgraded board as opposed to replacing the same board. The same board is the same firmware (maybe later version, maybe earlier). The upgrade board is the one in use today and has very few failures, not like the older boards that were a mess (many version changes before abandoning the board, and designing a new one). The upgrade board will also be different looking, and will replace the fenwall as well. Also be prepared for a higher price tag for the newer board too.

I've already tried replacing the ribbon cable/overlay/touchpad (it all came as one assembly) but still getting the same problem. Does this look like the upgraded board? http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/poolsupplies/replacementpoolparts/products/010253F.htm

BTW- Thanks for all your help, Pool Clown. I really appreciate it.

That looks like the one. The boards color is the tell tale sign (kind of a tan or beige color).

Hi, PoolClown. I just wanted to give an update. I went ahead and ordered the board. I just installed it today. The instructions were easy and I had it done in 30 minutes. It definitely looks like it fixed my problem.