Can You Id This Sweep

dalehileman

Fourteen years ago the former property owner had left me a basic pool sweep that gave me 4 years of service before crapping out whereupon I replaced it with a Polaris 380, partly because it used the same booster. However the latter sweep was expensive and having many more moving parts proved somewhat unreliable but difficult to repair and because it's on its last legs I would like to replace it, possibly with its simpler predecessor

I'm not sure who made it or whether it meanwhile might have been discontinued. Like the 380 it had a swishing tail and was propelled by a rear jet but had no wheels nor leaf bag. Even so one advantage was unlike its replacement the rear jet was slowly rotated so as to ensure a more nearly random path

Its tail kept the bottom clean by reducing settlings to a size carried away by circulation, remarkably enough even sand and small rocks. Do you happen to know if it's still on the market and if so who makes it

Thanks all

Fourteen years ago the former property owner had left me a basic pool sweep that gave me 4 years of service before crapping out whereupon I replaced it with a Polaris 380, partly because it used the same booster. However the latter sweep was expensive and having many more moving parts proved somewhat unreliable but difficult to repair and because it's on its last legs I would like to replace it, possibly with its simpler predecessor

I'm not sure who made it or whether it meanwhile might have been discontinued. Like the 380 it had a swishing tail and was propelled by a rear jet but had no wheels nor leaf bag. Even so one advantage was unlike its replacement the rear jet was slowly rotated so as to ensure a more nearly random path

Its tail kept the bottom clean by reducing settlings to a size carried away by circulation, remarkably enough even sand and small rocks. Do you happen to know if it's still on the market and if so who makes it

Thanks all

It could have been a Jandy but since Jandy was bought by Zodiac, who also own Polaris, it has been discontinued as was the Zodiac Mars. There are not many pressure side cleaners available anymore. Your choices are pretty much between Polaris, Letro (Pentair), Hayward, and ThePoolCleaner. Of those ThePoolcleaner, Polaris 280, and Letro Legend seem to have the best track record. Hayward Viper is a good unit but the Phantom has had it's share of problems. Supposedly they are fixed now.

All these units use a dirt collection bag.

Polaris does make the less expensive 165/Turbo Turtle for inground pools but these units do not climb the walls to clean them. They do not require a booster pump and connect to one of the returns. They also have a collection bag.

Since pool sweeps are mechanical they do need yearly "tuneups" and rebuilds every few years. The parts are readily available and it is a normal part of their maintenance.