Caldera C45 Low-Speed Pump Humming

Garrett S

I have a 3-yr old Caldera that I bought used this summer. After about a month of use, the low-speed stopped working (the motor would just hum), eventually tripping the breaker. The high-speed worked fine. I could recycle the breaker and things would be fine, sometimes for a month or more. But at this point, I'm thinking the motor is shot. I've tried tapping it with a hammer as well as turning the shaft. My best guess is that I'm looking at a new one.

So... if that's the case, I'd love to find one on-line or locally and do the install myself. I'm pretty technical and it looks very straightfoward. However, I'm having zero luck finding a match online -- does anyone have any specific sites or dealers they would recommend? The part number on the Watkins pump (0982601) doesn't come up on any sites I've seen. Any help would be appreciated!

Here's the pump tag:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ZwwBGS8BtmTAp40F4wnJCNs90yQzuSRGr1BOy6qi4Kw?feat=directlink

and the tub tag:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tS2m7BDYSOij5UmuGGaPE9s90yQzuSRGr1BOy6qi4Kw?feat=directlink

thanks in advance -- and if this has been answered before I apologize. I used the search extensively and didn't find much to help.

Garrett

thanks - I just swapped the capacitors and that motor still doesn't work. Looks like I'm searching for a new one. Has anyone used Spa Depot? They have a 3HP 48 frame for $234 shipped. Seems like a good deal, but won't be if it burns up in 6 months!

seems like a decent price, don't forget you need to replace the seal as well

If you swapped capacitors, where did you swap them from? Unless they are new replacements, or the old ones were tested. I would not rule that out, sizes are critical. If ya want to save a buck. Worse case the windings are burnt. If that is the case I would confirm relays are not sticking on the circuit board, so you do not toast a new pump.

Caldera uses aquaflo FMXP2 pumps. Select the correct voltage / speeds / HP, and you are good. They are excellent pumps in my opinion. I still have 10 year old spas in the field and the seals have not been changed. If you can believe that.

I swapped the capacitor accessible on the top between the low-speed and the high-speed motors. The high-speed continued to work (on the suspect capacitor) and the low-speed still hummed. So I went ahead and pulled the pump out completely -- what I did find is that there is a *second* capacitor hiding under the ventilation shroud -- and it looked like it had partially exploded! My hope is that this is all that is wrong. Looks like about a $10 part, so well worth the gamble.

wow, so the tub has been running perfectly for a week. Soak for about 90 minutes today and then the motor starts the same humming routine -- I wonder if there is a short in the motor and the brand new capacitor has now blown out after a week? Looks like I'm finding a new motor, in any case :-(