Wiring Proposal From Electrician - Opinions Needed

FLMatt

After three short weeks, my Costco CSXi80 spa arrived yesterday. I hired a local spa mover to move the spa from my driveway to my back porch.

Now, I am just waiting on the electrician to come out and wire everything up.

The electrician's proposal was to run the wire from my outside box to the GFCI using PVC pipe, run along the base of my house. I've attached a picture to explain. His proposed route in in RED.

Does this seem like a good way to run the wire? He said the PVC is designed to withstand impact, so my weedwacker and lawnmower shouldn't cause any problems. He said this is an easier method than digging a trench, so it will be a cost savings to me.

I'd appreciate your feedback before I go this route.

The line in GREEN was my other option for going through the soffit. Still not sure if this is an option either.

Thanks!

FLMatt

SpaWiring.jpg

After three short weeks, my Costco CSXi80 spa arrived yesterday. I hired a local spa mover to move the spa from my driveway to my back porch.

Now, I am just waiting on the electrician to come out and wire everything up.

The electrician's proposal was to run the wire from my outside box to the GFCI using PVC pipe, run along the base of my house. I've attached a picture to explain. His proposed route in in RED.

Does this seem like a good way to run the wire? He said the PVC is designed to withstand impact, so my weedwacker and lawnmower shouldn't cause any problems. He said this is an easier method than digging a trench, so it will be a cost savings to me.

I'd appreciate your feedback before I go this route.

The line in GREEN was my other option for going through the soffit. Still not sure if this is an option either.

Thanks!

FLMatt

SpaWiring.jpg

Thanks for the replies. The electrician wired the conduit through the soffit, so it is out of sight. Very nice and clean looking.

Burying the wire would be more aesthetically pleasing. If you use conduit it has to be steel or schedule 80. Make sure it is not Schedule 40 that is not approved for above grade.

Check with your local municipal building and code department and find out exactly what your locality requires. You may want to get confirmation from a few known professionally trained and licensed electricians to see if your electrian's suggestions conform to the local code requirements. Unfortunately, not all "electricians" are up-to-date on code requirements (or they disregard them).

If your installation does not conform to your local code requirements, not only do you put your health and safety at risk, but your insurance may not cover damages resulting from any mishap.

Just my $0.02.

gman B)