Broken Sundance Capri : (

linD43

Just headed out to my hot tub with my morning coffee. I open the cover, it's not running and display screen is blank. Not good. This has happened once or twice in the last 6 months, but I've reset the breaker and it's been fine. I cross my fingers, flip the breaker and it fires back up. Whew. Then it stops! The breaker has not blown this time but the display just shows - - - - . I hit a few of the buttons, nothing works.

I am really bummed as I just drained and refilled for the winter. Any ideas? I really don't have any money to put into it, so I'm hoping it is something REALLY cheap and easy to fix.

Fingers crossed!

linda in nh

PS. It's a 2004

The display "-----" is the "Watchdog" alert. As you already know, the hot tub has been deactivated. This display does not identify the specific problem. It signifies that a problem has been detected that could cause damage to the hot tub or its components. :( The manual recommends you call the Sundance dealer or a qualified service technician. I realize this is the obvious remedy and not the advise you were hoping for. Unfortunately, that is all I can offer.

Good luck.

gman

The display "-----" is the "Watchdog" alert. As you already know, the hot tub has been deactivated. This display does not identify the specific problem. It signifies that a problem has been detected that could cause damage to the hot tub or its components. :( The manual recommends you call the Sundance dealer or a qualified service technician. I realize this is the obvious remedy and not the advise you were hoping for. Unfortunately, that is all I can offer.

Good luck.

gman

<sigh> Ok, thanks Gman. I have tried to 'reboot' a couple times hoping for different results (guess I spend too much time on computers <g>)but no luck. Guess I better cut that out! Can this sometime indicate a minor problem or is it usually a biggie? I suppose on the plus side, at least it has happened in warm spell and not mid winter.

Thanks for your input.

linda in NH

I do have a pretty fast/simple diagnostic you can perform that could tell you most likely what the problem is.

Sometimes this take two people (one at the breaker, one at the spa display) since the watchdog can come up very fast. Turn the tub off for a couple minutes (this lets the circuit board power completely down) When turned back on we are looking for what the display shows before it goes to ----, if it displays a very high temp >104, we can be pretty sure you need a temp sensor replaced, a cheap part and very easy to replace

I do have a pretty fast/simple diagnostic you can perform that could tell you most likely what the problem is.

Sometimes this take two people (one at the breaker, one at the spa display) since the watchdog can come up very fast. Turn the tub off for a couple minutes (this lets the circuit board power completely down) When turned back on we are looking for what the display shows before it goes to ----, if it displays a very high temp >104, we can be pretty sure you need a temp sensor replaced, a cheap part and very easy to replace

Aha! Thanks. The 2nd time I shut it off and on, this DID show up briefly just before it cut out. As the tub didn't FEEL overly hot, I discounted it as not being a REAL error message. I'm not sure I'm up to doing the actual replacing, but if the part is cheap perhaps they won't charge too much to replace it.

Thanks so much.

Fingers crossed!

linda in NH

Aha! Thanks. The 2nd time I shut it off and on, this DID show up briefly just before it cut out. As the tub didn't FEEL overly hot, I discounted it as not being a REAL error message. I'm not sure I'm up to doing the actual replacing, but if the part is cheap perhaps they won't charge too much to replace it.

Thanks so much.

Fingers crossed!

linda in NH

Cool, at least with this diagnosis you can be pretty sure it will be a cheaper fix

Thanks so much.

Fingers crossed!

linda in NH

Cool, at least with this diagnosis you can be pretty sure it will be a cheaper fix

Yes, and certainly much easier to call a couple places and say 'I think the temp sensor needs replacing on my tub.' and get a price than to call and say. My hot tub isn't working, how much will it cost to fix it?! :wacko: I had pretty much decided to drain it and worry about it in the spring when finances were hopefully better. Thanks so much for the info.

This board is the best !!! :wub:

linda in NH