New Intelliflo Not Pulling Weir Gate Skimmer Down At Lower Speeds

Twinzer

PoolTech - When I pull out the skimmer basket and float, there are two "drains" (holes as such) - should I plug one of those? What is the main drain line used for?

Thanks in advance

If the main drain line comes into your skimmer you might try plugging off that line. We have plugged off a number of them after installing the Intelliflo pumps. You will be amazed at the difference it can make.

The main drain line pulls water from the deep end so it aids some in circulation but it really isn't necessary unless you have deep pool. However, plugging it will actually increase the suction at the pump even more and so might make the SVRS tripping problem worse. Although I agree that it would pull down the weir door further. Most skimmers have a cover on the port so that you can adjust the flow rate from the main drain. One thought is to cover the main drain port about 1/2 way but make sure the float cover for the skimmer, if you have one, is 100% open.

Is the SVRS still shutting off the pump? That should be your first priority.

Hey Mark - at 1700rpm the weir gate is pulling down enough that the SVRS is not shutting the pump off. I have the float cover fully open. The main drain line does not have a cover but it does have an internal thread on the pipe so I could try to find a cap to screw into it to close it off and drill a smaller hole in the a cap to let some water through it.

The main drain line pulls water from the deep end so it aids some in circulation but it really isn't necessary unless you have deep pool. However, plugging it will actually increase the suction at the pump even more and so might make the SVRS tripping problem worse. Although I agree that it would pull down the weir door further. Most skimmers have a cover on the port so that you can adjust the flow rate from the main drain. One thought is to cover the main drain port about 1/2 way but make sure the float cover for the skimmer, if you have one, is 100% open.

Is the SVRS still shutting off the pump? That should be your first priority.