Upgrade To 220V Or Stronger Pump?

ToddH1

I have an Image Renew 610 round spa that came with our house. We enjoy it a lot. But it runs off of 110V and the pump (jets) are anemic when on high. The slow heat up time on refill or maintaining temp is not a problem. I could easily run a 220 circuit to this. Could I put a stronger pump in to get stronger jets or is there a way to upgrade this unit (easily or otherwise)? It's a shame to upgrade the tub as the size is fine otherwise and I dont need a lot of tricks on it. Am pretty handy. Advice appreciated. Thanks, Todd

There are probably dip switches on the spa curciut board and a diagram inside the lid on which one to flip to convert the supply voltage once you get it wired 220, a lot of the image spas power supply sticker adjacent to the bus bar for connections was a little out of place, so make certain the 220v wiring is going to the correct sockets, then set about locating a 220v pump.

A word of caution, this tub is not exactly a stellar piece of equipment, so you run a great risk of blowing glue joints in your plumbing apart with greater pressure.

I wouldn't advise doing any mods to it at all.

There are probably dip switches on the spa curciut board and a diagram inside the lid on which one to flip to convert the supply voltage once you get it wired 220, a lot of the image spas power supply sticker adjacent to the bus bar for connections was a little out of place, so make certain the 220v wiring is going to the correct sockets, then set about locating a 220v pump.

A word of caution, this tub is not exactly a stellar piece of equipment, so you run a great risk of blowing glue joints in your plumbing apart with greater pressure.

Just to clarify this for you Todd changing the spa to 220v will not make the spa have more power. If you spa is convertible between 110v and 220v the pump is a 110v pump. This will only affect the heating of the unit by making it 220v. The spa is what it is. The spa is designed for the equipment that is in there. If you start changing components i.e. pumps, heaters things of that nature you can most certainly plan on causing a problem.

+1 on bigger pump don't do it. Three years ago a friend got a used spa and everything was great for two years then he added "more power" against all advice. Lesson learned now his tub leaks (drains) in several places and he is looking for a replacement tub.

Dave

The icon spas were made for big box store distriubution, they really are third rate, (at best) if it actually makes hot water, don't mess with it.

The icon spas were made for big box store distriubution, they really are third rate, (at best) if it actually makes hot water, don't mess with it.

Agree..... Trust our advice you will be sorry in the end you messed with it. Don't be Tim the Tool Man :D

Thank you for all the advice. I think I will leave it alone since it is working and just focus on saving up for a bigger tub down the road. It came with the house when we bought it so I wouldnt have bought one this cheap. I'm not picky and it's not a bad tub for someone like me who doesnt know better except for the lack of strength on the jets.