New Spa - Chemical Instructions From Dealer

Razorhog

While I await the delivery of my Jacuzzi J-280, I've been reading about water chemistry. I asked for the instructions before delivery so I could familiarize myself. I thought I'd post those instructions here, and get some input/feedback. My dealer uses BioGuard products. The spa shock is dichlor, not sure about the other stuff until I have the chems in hand.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Initial Fill -

A 1 cap of Spa Shock

Add 7 caps of Stain and Scale control (works out to be 7 caps because spa is 539 gallons)

Bring spa to desired temp

Turn temp down 6 degrees

Add 1 Quart of Spa Sentry

After 24 hours, remove filters and clean with pressure nozzle on water hose

Return temp to desired level

Place Spa Purifier in filter with gray cap (I have no idea what this means)

Weekly -

Add 1 cap of Spa Shock

Add 7 caps of Stain and Scale Control

Every 2 Months -

Turn temp down 6 degrees

Add 1 Quart Spa Sentry

Wait 24 hours and remove and clean filters

Return spa to desired temp

Every 4 months -

Put a new Spa Purifier in filter with gray cap

Cloudy Water -

If water is cloudy, add 2 TBS of Chlorine Concentrate and 2 caps Water Clarifier.

Hit clean button on spa. (I don't know if the J-280 has that option)

Every hour or so add 2 caps of water clarifier and hit the clean button.

If water does not clear up, bring in a sample.

A few things concern me about this routine. First off, it mentions nothing about testing the water. Every spa is different, and while this routine might work for some, it won't work for all. Secondly, using Dichlor as the main source of chlorination can result in high levels of CYA. I suppose I could try their method, and see what kind of shape the water is in. I'll probably go to the Dichlor/Bleach method. I've already ordered a Taylor 2006 test kit.

Any thoughts and/or suggestions from you spa chemical gurus?

Congrats on purchasing a fantastic hot tub!! the J-280 is sure to give you years of trouble free hot tubbing! (I am a little biased though....)

1) if your here on this forum why are you even reading what a dealer wrote for instructions? Dont waste your time trying to figure out their instructions, this site has everything you need to maintain your tub VERY efficiently.

2)Are you sure that the 'Shock' is dichlor? it sounds more like MSP

3) the 'purifier' is a nature2 cartridge, all Jacuzzi dealers have that, we call it the proclear system. nature2 branded that product for us so that it would fit neatly in all 300 and 400 models, 200 models use the same one everyone else uses.

4)Clean button eh? lol, nope, last time I looked at our 280 it had no 'clean' button. Must be a multi-line dealer that also has some tubs with SWCG.

The dichlor and bleach method is a fantastic method, i personally use that method, i also use the nature2 cartridge ( i dont own a jacuzzi yet) and i like it but i dont know if i would use it if i had to pay retail....

hth.

Thanks for the reply!

1) Good point, but I wanted to see if the dealer instructions were valid. I plan on following Nitro's guide to water maintenance, but I wasn't sure if I could do that with the chemicals that will come with the spa.

2) The main ingredient says Sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione....58.2%

3) Thanks for clearing up the purifier part. I'll do some research on Nature2, and figure out if it is worth it.

4) Thanks for the clarification on the "clean" button! I know I didn't see one, but wanted to be sure!

5) I will test the water daily, but I'll need to leave the tub for the weekend occasionally. Once I get the water balanced and get an idea of my chlorine demand, it shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with the others who feel that the dealer instructions are a waste of time (and probably money). I've had my Jacuzzi brand tub for 5 years without any major problems. I have a smaller model (275 gallons).

In regards to the dealer directions you posted, I'm not familiar with many of the products listed. If you use Nitro's diclor-then-bleach method, you don't need very many chemicals. One thing that didn't make sense to me was adding the stain/scale remover on a weekly basis. If you have water with a lot of minerals, you use it when you fill your tub. Then you only add a little more when you put fresh water in to bring the tub up to the proper level after evaporation and splash out lowers the waterline. Again, I would ignore what the dealer says unless he/she can clearly show you that if you don't do it you'll void your warranty.

Good luck and enjoy your tub ...

- Simon