Gfi Question

path

I recently purchased a 5yr marquis hideaway spa.

It is currently configured to run on 120V.

The GFI on the cord was not working when I bought the unit - so I had a GFI outlet installed outside and I plug the hottub in to that switch.

The tub sits right out side my bedroom window - and I do not like hearing the motor run at night.

I have tired messing with the console options - but the control isn't to sophisticated - so I am looking to other options.

I have an outdoor grounded timer that I was thinking of positioning between the GFI outlet and the hottub 120 cord.

This way I could have it turned off during the night and kick in at 8am.

Would this compromise the GFI?

IE : the hottub now is not directly plugged into the GFI outlet - instead there is a grounded timer sitting between the GFI and the hottub cord.

I asked the electrician and he said that it would be ok - but I am every wary of sitting in a pool of water with an electric motor inches away - so I am looking a second opinion.

What do you think?

Do others have this configuration?

looks like a 15A

Here is what it has on the back of the unit :

125V - 60HZ

1875W 15A

You need a timer that is capable of handling the same Amperage as the GFI in order to avoid overloading the timer. More importantly, the hot tub has some kind of AMP rating at 120V. The GFI should match or exceed it and the timer must do the same.

Good luck.

I'd strongly recommend only using the right size breaker. Oversizing can cause damage because the breaker will not trip when needed. If it's a GFCI all should trip when a GF is detected but if there are other issues the breaker will hold until the amps are exceeded. Example would be when bearings begin to fail on a motor, more amp drawn to run motor, motor gets hot amp draw continues to go up until breaker trips. Too high a breaker for the application could create a meltdown, start a fire or worse.

Dave

I'd strongly recommend only using the right size breaker. Oversizing can cause damage because the breaker will not trip when needed. If it's a GFCI all should trip when a GF is detected but if there are other issues the breaker will hold until the amps are exceeded. Example would be when bearings begin to fail on a motor, more amp drawn to run motor, motor gets hot amp draw continues to go up until breaker trips. Too high a breaker for the application could create a meltdown, start a fire or worse.

Dave

Only an electrician can advise for certain. However, if the tub is designed for corded use, with no "max breaker" specified on the plate, it should have internal overcurrent protection built in on the system board. This means a 15A or 20A would be OK. The timer, wall outlet, and GFCI should be rated for the circuit, not the device. Breakers are sized to protect the wiring infrastructure, NOT the corded loads. Otherwise, you'd have a 1000 breaker panel in your house for everything from cell chargers to TV's to hairdryers, and would have to call an electrician out every time you plugged something in.

No risks installing a properly grounded timer downstream of your GFCI outlet. It may reset the electronics on the tub with each powercycle however- you might check that.

The spa controller is likely designed to run 12 hour cycles, and thinks noon is whenever you plug it in.

If you post a picture of the spa control panel, I can likely tell you how to put it in economy mode where it will only run during filter default times.