Hayward 1.5 Hp Super Pump Started To Trip Fuse After 1 Year

IL pool

Hey All- Got another one for you... Our Hayward Super Pump 1.5HP after 1 year of no troubles started tripping the circuit breaker 2 days ago. If we reset the circuit and then put the pump "on" it immediately blows... Any suggestions for us to check before our pool gets too green over this weekend! Our pool place will not even open until Monday and it is HOT! Got my fingers crossed we can get it going?!

Capacitor failure can be from a variety of reasons, but, in general, they should last many years. Added moisture (humidity or pool water) could have resulted in a bad connection or perhaps the leads burned off or I've seen the terminals just fall off due to vibration. The capacitor is needed to start the motor against load. No capacitor will result in higher amp draw. I really doubt that the motor itself had a bad winding or a short to ground. An easy way to test this is with an ohmmeter. Perhaps, I am wrong and the motor had a defect.