Polaris Getting Stuck On Bottom Step

Hi All,

I have a polaris 380 that I have had for two years. Last year seemed to work well, but occasionally would get caught on my bottom step. This year, It seems to get stuck all the time. I have the nozzle pointed in the 11 o'clock position, I think the ballast float is OK (Doesn't appear to be filled with water, but should it be pushed all the way in or pulled out a bit away from the polaris)?

Any thoughts? suggestions? The only other thing I have noticed is that it does seem to lean to one side occasionally when not on, while underwater. Like the balance is off perhaps? Not sure becuase it doesn't always seem to be aproblem.

Is there something I could put in the corner by the step to prevent it from getting caught? any thoughts appreciated!

Take the float off and shake it(to check for water). Then push it all the way on. Doesn't this unit have a back up valve?

It does have a back-up valve, but for some reason becuase of the direction of surface water flow, the back-up valve floats across the steps so that when it turns on it actually pulls the polaris into the step.

Hard to describe via text without an image, but imagine the polaris stuck on bottom of pool at the bottom step. To its right is the wall. The back-up valve is along the surface, such that when it goes on, it pulls the polaris into the step. On occasion (by rare chance) the valve is pointing away from the steps and it is pulled away, but this is not the norm. I wonder if there is a way to manipulate the backup valve (?shorten the length) to move it closer to the unit to allow it to pull away?) so it is not floating near the surface?

Was the hose initially sized for the pool? If not, then you should do so.

Check and replace any hose floats that are waterlogged.

Check the wheel rpm, and adjust if necessary.

Check the in-line swivels, and replace any that leak or do not swivel properly.

Make sure that all three of the wheels are turning. The drive belts will wear out over time.

The backup valve should be fairly close to the Polaris. How far from the Polaris is the backup valve?

http://www.polarispool.com/files/manual/PolarisManual380.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

Was the hose initially sized for the pool? If not, then you should do so.

Check and replace any hose floats that are waterlogged.

Check the wheel rpm, and adjust if necessary.

Check the in-line swivels, and replace any that leak or do not swivel properly.

Make sure that all three of the wheels are turning. The drive belts will wear out over time.

The backup valve should be fairly close to the Polaris. How far from the Polaris is the backup valve?

http://www.polarispool.com/files/manual/PolarisManual380.pdf

Hi thanks for the reply. I have been out of town but will try to get these answered

Can you post a pic of the pool with the unit in its stuck place, AND a view of the hose where it meets the wall fitting in the same pic?

Hi thanks will try. How do I post pics here? Don't I need to find some on-line site to host it to link to?

Photobucket.com works well.